Fun Longhorn Draft History/Facts

With the Pro Day today I figured I'd look up some Longhorn draft history and came across a couple of interesting things.

Since the draft went to 7 rounds in 1994, the most Longhorns draft in a single class was 7 in 2007. I think Texas will definitely tie that number in this year's draft, unless something crazy happens, and could pass it. I think the locks are Murphy, Worthy, Mitchell, Sweat, Sanders, Brooks,and Jones. We had four others go to the combine so only need one of those to go in the late round. I'm seeing Ford and Whittington in some late rounds in some mock drafts. Those first 7 are also spread across 5 of the 8 main football positions in my eyes (QB, RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, and DB). Could go to 6 or 7 positions depending on if and who gets drafted out of the other 4 combine invites. I guess this is what development across the board looks like!

Additionally the most the Longhorns have had in back to back drafts was 13 in 2006 and 2007. So we could tie that too.

Final fun fact, the Longhorns hold the record for most ever draft picks from one college in a single draft with 17 in 1984!

Edited by Hookem777
  • Hook 'Em 5

• Moderators

As far as the last one, it is important to note that in 1984 the NFL draft was 12 rounds. It was shortened to 7 in 1994. 

Regardless, it’s true. The most since they went to 7 rounds was Georgia in 2022, with 15. 

• Hook 'Em 2