Texas, Oklahoma and the future of softball (great read)

• Moderators

Not going to post the entire article, but some good excerpts from the article which I’ll link at the bottom:

The latest round of conference realignment destroyed the Pac-12 and positioned the SEC to reign supreme over softball, potentially unlike any conference over a single sport.

Cat Osterman, a former three-time national player of the year, still sees hope for non-SEC programs. But the former Texas great who still holds school records in career victories (136), ERA (0.51), shutouts (85), and no-hitters (20), agreed the SEC is going to be a softball juggernaut.

"It's still possible for other programs to be able to build and compete," Osterman said, singling out Oklahoma State, which has made the WCWS five straight years out of the Big 12. "But obviously, the SEC is going to be even stronger with Texas and OU."

Texas coach Mike White, who's from New Zealand and began his career at Oregon, said the new SEC is going to be "really, really tough," adding that he can "see having 15 losses in that conference and still doing pretty well."

Stop us if you've heard this before, but softball just means more, too. And Richardson, who faces many of the conference's schools every year from Liberty, sees it up close.

"I think the SEC," she said, "is trying to dominate in all sports."

The full story: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40280184/womens-college-world-series-softball-texas-oklahoma-sec

• Hook 'Em 3

I think the increased level of competition will be great for UT. We all know that steel sharpens steel (or iron sharpens iron, if you prefer). I do not see UT winning 15 conference championships a year in the near future but I do see the Longhorns being better prepared for the playoffs in every sport. 

• Moderators

I agree on SEC in softball ... looking at the Top 25 from early May ...

1. Texas

3. Tennessee

4. Oklahoma

7. Florida

9. LSU

10. Texas A&M

12. Missouri

13. Arkansas

14. Georgia

17. Mississippi State

20. Alabama

25. Kentucky