2025 class vs 2024 class

Since I know Class rankings overall matters to a lot of people, I decided to take a look at the 2024 class and compare it to the potential of this class.

The 2024 class in terms of strictly high school recruiting, finished with 22 recruits and a 247 grade of 286.90.

Below I'll list players that seem to be eventual Texas commits and will be adding it to the calculator.

Smith Orogbo, EDGE, Alief (Texas) Hastings

Nick Townsend, TE, Dekaney (Texas) High

Kade Phillips, DB, Missouri City (Texas) Hightower

D.J. Sanders, DL, Bellville (Texas) High

Michael Terry II, ATH, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas) High

Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin

Jonathan Cunningham, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

Nathan Tilmon, S, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview

Nick Brooks, OT, Cedar Rapids (Ia.) John F. Kennedy

This would put Texas at 22 commits & a 247 grade of 288.62. Which would surpass the 2024 mark while having an equal number of commits.

Now adding in some maybes...

Texas won't only land 2 WRs. Gerry and/or CJ have mentioned at different times the potential of Tanook Hines joining the class.

Also I would like to think we are still in a good spot for Fasusi. (Hopefully)

Tanook Hines, WR, Houston (Texas) Dekaney

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High

Adding those two to the class would bring this class to 24 commits & a 247 grade of 297.73.

Now surely the class will go in many different ways from here, and I just can't see any scenario where the staff would be okay with only 2 DL commits unless they decide the portal is the best path. Also, the staff surely will have some players rise in importance based on senior evaluations.

This was just a fun experiment though, and this class can still definitely be very very good with all of the talent left.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for doing the work. I know there is some optimism about terry but oregon has me nervous.  That would be a massive change in your calculator. Hines seems unlikely. If we lose fasusi that will be a blow to the rankings potential. However the bigger issue is the lack of star power at DB and the lack of numbers at DT not the end ranking of the class 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

Thanks for doing the work. I know there is some optimism about terry but oregon has me nervous.  That would be a massive change in your calculator. Hines seems unlikely. If we lose fasusi that will be a blow to the rankings potential. However the bigger issue is the lack of star power at DB and the lack of numbers at DT not the end ranking of the class 

The Michael Terry one was put in there almost exclusively because Jordan Scruggs at 247 put in a crystal ball for him today and that gave me some confidence to do it. Hines I admittedly haven't kept up a ton with, but regardless, I'd assume there would be a 3rd WR in the class and he's not extremely highly ranked so it would probably only make the score better if it was someone else. Fasusi was a big swing one that I am nervous about. We just need to land one of him or Lamont Rogers.

20 minutes ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

And I fully agree with the end that the ranking of class doesn't really matter. It's what is in the class and filling positions of need at the time. Texas has got a lot of work to do on defense as a whole.

6 hours ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

Agreed.  You cannot just look at the overall ranking of the class.  What players does that class consist of?  Do they address important positions on the roster?

Appreciate the work, @EHoff99.  I haven't been keeping up with class rankings much, but was surprised to see us at ~ #16 after Orogbo committed.  It's early and we have far fewer recruits than most of the classes ahead of us, but I like being informed in the event that I run into some Aggies over the holiday weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1