Baseball & Softball Notes (Tues 7:55 AM)

• Moderators

I reported a little over a week ago that the Longhorns felt good about both Jalin Flores and Jared Thomas returning to next year’s squad.

Unfortunately, Thomas was selected No. 42 overall by the Colorado Rockies and that ship has sailed.

The good news, however, is Texas’ optimism was well warranted, as Flores made the news official yesterday that he would remain in Austin. That move is huge for Schlossnagle and his staff for several reasons. 

Obviously it provides the Horns with a reliable and experienced bat, as Flores finished the 2024 season with a .340 average, hitting 82 times in 241 at bats, while going yard 18 times in that span.

More importantly it helps shore up the infield and gives Texas it’s starter back at shortstop. Sources have expressed concern about the position behind the scenes and I was told it was a major question mark heading into the fall. 

In short, Flores coming back might be the biggest victory of the offseason thus far.

Many fans have been wondering about where things stand with RHP Lebarron Johnson Jr. and the possibility of him returning to the Forty Acres as well. LBJ was also drafted by the Rockies with the No. 139 overall pick.

The truth of the matter is, no one seems to really know. What I can tell you is that Texas has made their pitch and is in wait and see mode.
Personally I think it would benefit LBJ to come back. CJ and I both noted over the course of the season that his pitching left a lot to be desired and was, well… flat with little movement on his most common pitches.

Many people I spoke with also felt working with new pitching coach Max Weiner would benefit him.

Stay tuned, as we should know very soon.

Texas has taken a number of pitchers since the new staff arrived in Austin, adding guys from the high school ranks to JUCO to taking transfers.

I liked what @CJ Vogel said the other day, when he compared Schlossnagle/Weiner adding pitchers to Steve Sarkisian/Kyle Flood adding offensive linemen. There’s so much truth to that “the cupboard is bare” comparison.

So don’t be surprised when the Horns continue add more in the near future. They’re still actively evaluating and pursuing players at this time.

When it comes to the rotation, there’s still a lot up in the air. Obviously nothing is set in stone this early and that will all get settled between now and February. 

With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised if a weekend starter is still out in the portal.

Elite RHP Drew Rerick took his name out of the MLB Draft yesterday. Rerick, who boasts a 96 mph fastball along with a handful of other pitches, is considered one of the top 75 high school players in the nation. Yet another major win for the Horns.

Finally, a lot of you have asked about Stanford ace pitcher Nijaree Canady. Information has been extremely tough to come by, but I can tell you Texas continues to recruit Canady since she entered the portal. Texas and OU are the two options I continue to hear the most, with Florida also having a shot. 

One school that is trying hard to get in the mix of things is Oklahoma State. There’s only one problem… they’ve taken two pitchers out of the portal already. Mix that with what’s already on campus and they have a bit of a logjam at the position.

The Sooners are also facing that same problem. They, too, have added two, as Campbell transfer Isabella Smith and Louisiana transfer Sam Landry have committed to Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 35

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

Ou got some big transfer portal softball pitcher. They seem to be concerned that could affect canady for what it’s worth 

Correct, but I am mistaken. They actually added two as well. One from Campbell and one from Louisiana. That completely slipped my mind when writing this. Editing now!

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Travis Richard said:

So at the moment we’re looking at a lineup of:

C- Galvan, 1B- Borba, 2B- Mendoza, SS- Flores, 3B- Rodriguez, OF- Belyeu, OF- Winfield, OF- Gasparino, DH- Schuessler? 

I'm with you on this. Pretty sure that's the plan as of today.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Travis Richard said:

So at the moment we’re looking at a lineup of:

C- Galvan, 1B- Borba, 2B- Mendoza, SS- Flores, 3B- Rodriguez, OF- Belyeu, OF- Winfield, OF- Gasparino, DH- Schuessler? 

That is the look I currently have for it.

LF – Easton Winfield

CF – Will Gasparino

RF – Max Belyeu

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

I reported a little over a week ago that the Longhorns felt good about both Jalin Flores and Jared Thomas returning to next year’s squad.

Unfortunately, Thomas was selected No. 42 overall by the Colorado Rockies and that ship has sailed.

The good news, however, is Texas’ optimism was well warranted, as Flores made the news official yesterday that he would remain in Austin. That move is huge for Schlossnagle and his staff for several reasons. 

Obviously it provides the Horns with a reliable and experienced bat, as Flores finished the 2024 season with a .340 average, hitting 82 times in 241 at bats, while going yard 18 times in that span.

More importantly it helps shore up the infield and gives Texas it’s starter back at shortstop. Sources have expressed concern about the position behind the scenes and I was told it was a major question mark heading into the fall. 

In short, Flores coming back might be the biggest victory of the offseason thus far.

Many fans have been wondering about where things stand with RHP Lebarron Johnson Jr. and the possibility of him returning to the Forty Acres as well. LBJ was also drafted by the Rockies with the No. 139 overall pick.

The truth of the matter is, no one seems to really know. What I can tell you is that Texas has made their pitch and is in wait and see mode.
Personally I think it would benefit LBJ to come back. CJ and I both noted over the course of the season that his pitching left a lot to be desired and was, well… flat with little movement on his most common pitches.

Many people I spoke with also felt working with new pitching coach Max Weiner would benefit him.

Stay tuned, as we should know very soon.

Texas has taken a number of pitchers since the new staff arrived in Austin, adding guys from the high school ranks to JUCO to taking transfers.

I liked what @CJ Vogel said the other day, when he compared Schlossnagle/Weiner adding pitchers to Steve Sarkisian/Kyle Flood adding offensive linemen. There’s so much truth to that “the cupboard is bare” comparison.

So don’t be surprised when the Horns continue add more in the near future. They’re still actively evaluating and pursuing players at this time.

When it comes to the rotation, there’s still a lot up in the air. Obviously nothing is set in stone this early and that will all get settled between now and February. 

With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised if a weekend starter is still out in the portal.

Elite RHP Drew Rerick took his name out of the MLB Draft yesterday. Rerick, who boasts a 96 mph fastball along with a handful of other pitches, is considered one of the top 75 high school players in the nation. Yet another major win for the Horns.

Finally, a lot of you have asked about Stanford ace pitcher Nijaree Canady. Information has been extremely tough to come by, but I can tell you Texas continues to recruit Canady since she entered the portal. Texas and OU are the two options I continue to hear the most, with Florida also having a shot. 

One school that is trying hard to get in the mix of things is Oklahoma State. There’s only one problem… they’ve taken two pitchers out of the portal already. Mix that with what’s already on campus and they have a bit of a logjam at the position.

The Sooners are also facing that same problem. They, too, have added two, as Campbell transfer Isabella Smith and Louisiana transfer Sam Landry have committed to Oklahoma.

awesome update, keep them coming....