First Time Going To Red River Shootout

There's not a bad seat in the stadium. I've sat all over the place and think I actually prefer to be in the upper deck.

Get there early and get corn dogs and beers before the lines get crazy. Start walking to the stadium about an hour earlier than you think you should. Trust me. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

There's not a bad seat in the stadium. I've sat all over the place and think I actually prefer to be in the upper deck.

Get there early and get corn dogs and beers before the lines get crazy. Start walking to the stadium about an hour earlier than you think you should. Trust me. 

Good advice from RedFive. I am retired, thus old!

All of what RF advised plus:

Consider parking downtown and taxi/Uber to the gates at Fair Park. DART gets crowded unless you go truly early.

If you do park downtown, consider parking at one of the nicer hotels... maybe treat your guests/family to breakfast.

The best restroom facilities at Fair Park are at the Fair Park Music Hall. It's just inside the park gate on the NW side of the fairgrounds.

Fletcher's Corny Dogs are legendary. To access any food and drink you must first purchase "coupons." The coupon is the medium of exchange and you first stand in line to purchase coupons. Then you stand in line to give Fletcher's a fistful of coupons for the corny dog. I met Stonie Clark in the line the year after he stuffed Zero U RB on the goal line to preserve a Longhorns victory twenty -odd years ago. Stonie said he got started with a half-dozen... but he played DT!

The seating is all good but cramped. Prepare to stand while the ball is in play and sit during media timeouts and halftime.

If you haven't already gotten a line on tickets...if you are a Texas Ex member you can sometimes get tickets from Exes who are unable to attend...call now to get on their list. All the concert and sports ticket brokers are expensive.

Only the true fans go to the game and the atmosphere is unique. Sometimes electric.

I've been 35+ times for TX-OU, Cotton Bowl and SMU when they played home games there. My father took me to see the Cowboys there when I was just 6 years old and the Dallas Texans before they became the Kansas City Chiefs. Told you I was old! 

I've been to a Super Bowl and a World Series. Nothing beats Texas and OU at the State Fair of Texas!

Have fun and Hook 'Em!!!

PS... one year a lady behind us complained that all the fans were standing and the young man beside us turned around and said this to her: " Ma'am, we'll sit during the commercials, but please realize we merely SUBSIST for 364 days every year just waiting for this moment."

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Jc Dobbs said:

Fletcher's Corny Dogs are legendary. To access any food and drink you must first purchase "coupons." The coupon is the medium of exchange and you first stand in line to purchase coupons. Then you stand in line to give Fletcher's a fistful of coupons for the corny dog.

When you enter the fair, the first coupon stand you see that has fewer than five people in line.... stop there and buy coupons. 

Oh and when the game is over, do not get in a hurry to leave because you will end up waiting in a mass of humanity anyway. There have been times where we've been the last people in the stadium besides the cleaning crew, and have still waited to exit the stadium. 

Edited by Red Five
  • Hook 'Em 1