Texas Defensive Line Recruiting Update (Friday 11:37am CST)

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/16594800/Brandon-Brown

Stuff like this makes me think the US should have a network of football prep academies similar to European soccer where guys who obviously are too big/strong/talented for ordinary high school go to get prepared for CFB. 

Brown's obviously out of the league of the regular Florida kids he's playing against. It does him a disservice to not be able to sharpen his skills against other elite players from around the country every day,  and we can all see the level of disservice he's doing to kids who aren't within 1000 miles of him talent wise. 

First time I've seen the guys highlights.  Wow....I guess this is what Rod B. calls a "Disruptor"!!!

Stuff like this makes me think the US should have a network of football prep academies similar to European soccer where guys who obviously are too big/strong/talented for ordinary high school go to get prepared for CFB. 

Brown's obviously out of the league of the regular Florida kids he's playing against. It does him a disservice to not be able to sharpen his skills against other elite players from around the country every day,  and we can all see the level of disservice he's doing to kids who aren't within 1000 miles of him talent wise. 

You gotta love a big dude that wears #20! 🤣

• Moderators

lol on the last part of that. 

Interesting topic ... a lot of kids probably would stay where they are at depending on scenarios. In Brown's case. His brother is a basketball coach in the area, and they are very close. He has a sister that is a senior and very good basketball player (will play DII or DI somewhere) ... so travel for mom is impacted. 

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

lol on the last part of that. 

Interesting topic ... a lot of kids probably would stay where they are at depending on scenarios. In Brown's case. His brother is a basketball coach in the area, and they are very close. He has a sister that is a senior and very good basketball player (will play DII or DI somewhere) ... so travel for mom is impacted. 

It's definitely a difficult thing to put into action and of course kids would have the option of not entering the academies. In Europe the academies usually get them at very young ages and the culture in America wouldn't lend itself well to doing that. 

Just wish the IMG/Mater Dei type of system could be expanded and made available to players who qualify physically but don't have the financial means to make it happen now. Brown could be prepared so much better for the college game if he had adequate competition to go against every day instead of unleashing fury on those human rag dolls.

Will be interesting to watch how the high school level evolves with the massive changes at the NCAA top FBS conference level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 1984Horn said:

First time I've seen the guys highlights.  Wow....I guess this is what Rod B. calls a "Disruptor"!!!

He's chucking dudes in the air like Reggie White used to do to NFL offensive linemen. I see why Gerry and Sark/PK are obviously so high on the guy's potential. Gerry, do you know if he throws shot or discus? Or just year round football?

On 2/2/2024 at 11:44 AM, Gerry Hamilton said:

Some people have asked me to rank in terms of my preference ...

1. Brandon Brown - just not many guys that will be 6-2, 300-pounds with his level of natural strength, first and second step explosive quickness and power, lateral agility and physicality on contact. Young for his class too. 

2. Josiah Sharma - Love, love, love this offer. SEC body and frame with the length and athleticism to play on the opponents side of the line of scrimmage. 

3. Zion Williams - A big body anchor prospect that can hold up in the SEC against large and athletic humans. There are better pure athletes in the class, but not many with the frame, 80+inch wingspan and willingness to learn and ascend like Williams. 

4. Dilan Battle - Another 300 pound+ prospect that can play over the ball in the SEC, but he has the athletic juice to play as a 3-tech as well. Can be a disruptor. 

5. Floyd Guidry - Naturally explosive and strong with a frame that is just starting to scratch the surface. Plus arm length for a 6-1.5/6-2 player. 

6. Landon Rink - The motor is among the best in the class. Rugged, tough hard worker that is closing in on 280 pounds. Will carry 295'ish very well in time. 

***IF Texas signed 3-4 from this group ... tremendous class IMO***

Some guys... need to see more. 

Where would you have ranked D'ontre Robinson on this list?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, rickhoutx said:

Where would you have ranked D'ontre Robinson on this list?

Three … I really like the Sharma offer this week 

Now that’s just pure talent with D’Antre Robinson. He was never 100% bought in on being a Longhorn, however. Bo Davis resume got that one done for Texas.