Volleyball vs. Indiana Sept 5

Carlson and the hitters seem to be getting more on track.  Second set slow start was mostly due to poor service returns.

IU hit only .074 on the match.  Texas was credited with only 5 blocks, but there were plenty of IU swings that wound up back on IU's side of the net.

I don't know why Lauenstein hasn't played yet, but it's not like we exactly need her right now.  Rutherford had her best match for us so far, and we got several kills from Skinner and Wenaas hitting opposite as well as from Singletary and Ames on the slide. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think early season will have the ups & downs in sets as this team develops even more chemistry. But when things are clicking, there isn’t a team in the country that can stay with us. Also, once Ames really starts getting comfortable & plays up to her talent level it’s gonna be scary.

4 minutes ago, Jordan Blount said:

Is Swindle hurt? Haven’t seen much of her playing so far.  

She doesn't seem to be hurt.  I don't know if Carlson getting the most PT is due to Elliott wanting her to get in sync with the hitters  or Elliott having decided Carlson is a better option as setter, but I thought the addition of Carlson to a team that just won the title with a freshman setter was a little odd. 

Carlson has shown an ability to make sets from really awkward positions, and that is a big plus in her favor.  Carlson's one handed set tonight to Singletary in the middle from a near overpass was a thing of beauty, but Swindle has a year of working with our hitters, and she has huge value as a setter with plus height, blocking skills, and ability to make the dump when the defense is napping, so I don't really get the rationale for replacing her. 

Having two reliable setters is better than having just one, but I'm not sold on the idea that Carlson deserves the majority of PT.  She is a great player, but so is Swindle.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, bierce said:

She doesn't seem to be hurt.  I don't know if Carlson getting the most PT is due to Elliott wanting her to get in sync with the hitters  or Elliott having decided Carlson is a better option as setter, but I thought the addition of Carlson to a team that just won the title with a freshman setter was a little odd. 

Carlson has shown an ability to make sets from really awkward positions, and that is a big plus in her favor.  Carlson's one handed set tonight to Singletary in the middle from a near overpass was a thing of beauty, but Swindle has a year of working with our hitters, and she has huge value as a setter with plus height, blocking skills, and ability to make the dump when the defense is napping, so I don't really get the rationale for replacing her. 

Having two reliable setters is better than having just one, but I'm not sold on the idea that Carlson deserves the majority of PT.  She is a great player, but so is Swindle.

Thanks for the answer. I enjoy watching volleyball, but I don’t know a ton about the sport. I thought Swindle was very good last year so I wasn’t sure why she hasn’t been playing much. 

Just now, Jordan Blount said:

Thanks for the answer. I enjoy watching volleyball, but I don’t know a ton about the sport. I thought Swindle was very good last year so I wasn’t sure why she hasn’t been playing much. 

There may be the desire to run an offense that rotates setters in the back row so we can have three strong attackers on the front row nearly all the time.  When Lauenstein starts playing, it's hard to see how we have room for Skinner, Wenaas, Rutherford, Singletary, Ames, and Lauenstein if we have setters who rotate onto the front line.

• Hook 'Em 1