A question about players reclassifying

On this morning’s Coffee and Football the topic of HS players reclassifying in order to get on campus a year earlier was discussed. While Gerry seemed to generally favor it, except in the case of QBs. On the other hand, Bobby and CJ were generally opposed to the idea except for the very rare case. The argument of whether it was better for a stud receiver like R. Williams to dominate HS as opposed to getting on campus and start a college weight training program was insightful. Gerry saw it as a development year which would be beneficial. 

However, my question is should colleges encourage it? Take Quinn for example (I think most would agree for a QB reclassifying is a bad idea). He left HS a year early and started his three year window at college a year early. His goal was to enter the pro draft this year. So essentially a reclassified player, unless he is an absolute once in a generation stud, will have one developmental year and two years to contribute. 

Thoughts. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Robert Gilbert said:

On this morning’s Coffee and Football the topic of HS players reclassifying in order to get on campus a year earlier was discussed. While Gerry seemed to generally favor it, except in the case of QBs. On the other hand, Bobby and CJ were generally opposed to the idea except for the very rare case. The argument of whether it was better for a stud receiver like R. Williams to dominate HS as opposed to getting on campus and start a college weight training program was insightful. Gerry saw it as a development year which would be beneficial. 

However, my question is should colleges encourage it? Take Quinn for example (I think most would agree for a QB reclassifying is a bad idea). He left HS a year early and started his three year window at college a year early. His goal was to enter the pro draft this year. So essentially a reclassified player, unless he is an absolute once in a generation stud, will have one developmental year and two years to contribute. 

Thoughts. 

It’s great discussion. In the last couple of years I have moved more to the opinion of a guy the talent level of a Ryan Williams being a strong positive to get out of HS a year early. 

NIL obviously a driving force in the change, but also he’s going to dominate another year of HS for 1,700 yards receiving without truly being pushed at that level. If a player is mature enough to handle the move, then the along advantage of NIL while developing in a college S&C program while probably making bigger strides in on field development is a win for the player and college staff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

It’s great discussion. In the last couple of years I have moved more to the opinion of a guy the talent level of a Ryan Williams being a strong positive to get out of HS a year early. 

NIL obviously a driving force in the change, but also he’s going to dominate another year of HS for 1,700 yards receiving without truly being pushed at that level. If a player is mature enough to handle the move, then the along advantage of NIL while developing in a college S&C program while probably making bigger strides in on field development is a win for the player and college staff. 

Thanks.