#3 SEC team tanking last game of the season

Just a thought here but,

I have seen multiple 2024 CFP mocks with 3- 4 SEC teams in the final 12.

What if there was an undefeated Georgia (or Texas) going into the SEC champ game.

And the #2 and #3 SEC teams playing the last last regular season game against each other.

Would #2 or # 3 consider actively (sitting starters) or passively (vanilla game plan) tanking that last game to fall to the #3 SEC bid to the CFP? (And avoid the SEC championship game)

If you thought you had a low% chance to win the SEC title game (winner gets the first round CFP bye but loser has to play the first round of the CFP anyway) bowing out might be a pragmatic strategy.

The benefit would be an extra week or to off to get ready for the CFP.

Maybe I'm naive, but I cannot imagine a situation where that would occur. If you have a chance of getting to the playoffs, you better believe you can play with anyone and instill that confidence in the locker room. 

Probably a different story if you have an injured player that you want to make sure is healthy for the playoffs, but other than that situation... as 'ole Herm said "you play to win the game!"

Edited by Scott Luedecke