Spring ball transfer portal casualties

We often talk about the positions of need for Texas (such as 1-2 DT’s and punter) with the April transfer portal window, the 15-30th.

And while it may still be early to predict, I’m wondering about our attrition of guys transferring out of the program during spring ball or after the spring game. How many we thinking? What position groups could take hits (Like OL or DB)?  Other thoughts or insight into our potential losses?

Hook’Em! 

Tim Samuels

6 hours ago, Tim Samuels said:

We often talk about the positions of need for Texas (such as 1-2 DT’s and punter) with the April transfer portal window, the 15-30th.

And while it may still be early to predict, I’m wondering about our attrition of guys transferring out of the program during spring ball or after the spring game. How many we thinking? What position groups could take hits (Like OL or DB)?  Other thoughts or insight into our potential losses?

Hook’Em! 

Tim Samuels

We are 4 over so there has to be attrition. And any more we take on during the spring portal will be 1 for 1 imo. OL is a position we could see one or two imo, maybe 1 IDL. Maybe an EDGE or LB or two. After that it gets into territory you don't want to see some leave imo.

4 hours ago, GoHorns1 said:

Expect 8-10 to leave

I don't think we are going to take that many on the portal. I could see maybe 3 but that even may be high imo unless we have a lot of season ending injuries. Only place we need a transfer is IDL imo

20 minutes ago, Hookem777 said:

I don't think we are going to take that many on the portal. I could see maybe 3 but that even may be high imo unless we have a lot of season ending injuries. Only place we need a transfer is IDL imo

Could see 8-10 leaving for more PT. 

43 minutes ago, GoHorns1 said:

Could see 8-10 leaving for more PT. 

That seems high to me, let's hope it's not that many. I think after last year we might be able to keep players to wait their turn. We are really young at a lot of spots so you'd think they'd wait it out. Think we saw the big exodus in December imo. There was 13 then not seeing how over 20 guys would leave in a single offseason in my eyes. 

26 minutes ago, Hookem777 said:

That seems high to me, let's hope it's not that many. I think after last year we might be able to keep players to wait their turn. We are really young at a lot of spots so you'd think they'd wait it out. Think we saw the big exodus in December imo. There was 13 then not seeing how over 20 guys would leave in a single offseason in my eyes. 

We are currently 4 over 85, Texas would like add 2 DTs from the portal resulting in 6 over. Need at least 6 to leave

Edited by GoHorns1

9 minutes ago, GoHorns1 said:

We are currently 4 over 85, Texas would like add 2 DTs from the portal resulting in 6 over. Need at least 6 to leave

I agreed we could possibly add three more but I really think they probably will only add one more IDL unless the guys don't step up like they hope. Like I said previously, we are really young at a lot of positions so I don't see a lot leaving for PT. Yeah we may push a guy or two but not many older guys are behind the younger guys except an OL, maybe two, an edge, and a LB. Maybe a young WR gets ancy and leaves but I personally am not seeing more than that 

Thanks to NIL, two down roster upperclassmen may either stay to graduate as PWOs, or  transfer out.  They are Merrill and Juan.

There are some other guys on the squad who may prefer NIL fueled PWO status to outbound transfer, as well.  Recall that the Pancake Factory is worth more than a scholarship.  The point is that there is another way to relieve the pressure of the scholarship limit, for guys who are weighing immediate playing time at Podunk Directional State against possible or probable later playing time and a degree from Texas.