Status on Tausili Akana?

What's the scoop on Tausili Akana??? Akana came into the program in the 2023 class at 19 years old, 6'4" and 200 pounds. I follow him on social media and he's been one of the most active individuals in the Austin community when it comes to volunteering and putting together player-led charity events and even started his charity foundation.

His sister is one of the vocal leaders and hardest workers in her third year on the volleyball team, so the Akana's are one of the new "power families" on the 40 Acres.

I was really excited to see him throw up the horns during his commitment announcement in Hawaii when all the major recruiting outlets (including Wiltfong himself) had him crystal balled/ RPM'ed to Oklahoma, (along with Colton Vasek) which means we took the two highest ranked EDGE players that Oklahoma had their sights on in the 2023 class.

Does he just need to pack on muscle and weight?

Is Texas really that deep at the EDGE and SAM positions that the Rivals/ ESPN/ 247Sports consensus "2023 #1 player in the state of Utah" is just that overshadowed??

I realize we can't get "Colin Simmons / Arch Manning level coverage" on EVERY player on the roster, but I just wanted to see if 
there was anything noted going on with Akana.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mark said:

What's the scoop on Tausili Akana??? Akana came into the program in the 2023 class at 19 years old, 6'4" and 200 pounds. I follow him on social media and he's been one of the most active individuals in the Austin community when it comes to volunteering and putting together player-led charity events and even started his charity foundation.

His sister is one of the vocal leaders and hardest workers in her third year on the volleyball team, so the Akana's are one of the new "power families" on the 40 Acres.

I was really excited to see him throw up the horns during his commitment announcement in Hawaii when all the major recruiting outlets (including Wiltfong himself) had him crystal balled/ RPM'ed to Oklahoma, (along with Colton Vasek) which means we took the two highest ranked EDGE players that Oklahoma had their sights on in the 2023 class.

Does he just need to pack on muscle and weight?

Is Texas really that deep at the EDGE and SAM positions that the Rivals/ ESPN/ 247Sports consensus "2023 #1 player in the state of Utah" is just that overshadowed??

I realize we can't get "Colin Simmons / Arch Manning level coverage" on EVERY player on the roster, but I just wanted to see if 
there was anything noted going on with Akana.

He has seemed to have disappeared a bit, I'm not sure he will be much of a contributor at TX. I think size will be his issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 7:01 PM, David Latiolais said:

He has seemed to have disappeared a bit, I'm not sure he will be much of a contributor at TX. I think size will be his issue.

Seems to be the case. Crazy to think that five years ago, Akana would have been a prospect that would have a starting job in his second season, but with the level of talent coming to the Forty Acres in the last three recruiting classes, someone with Akana's hype and athleticism is getting pushed to the bottom of the list by the team depth.