Texas Baseball Staff Morning Update (Sun 10:05 AM)

28 minutes ago, Tuco Ramirez said:

I’m curious about the timing of the Box announcement. Why didn’t he come over when Schloss did? Is this connected to the Earley announcement? 

Troy Tulowitzki is Earley replacement 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

On Texas Football is expecting a couple of shakeups to the Texas staff beginning today. Texas A&M is set to hire new Texas assistant coach Michael Earley as their head coach. Earley spent the last three years in College Station on Jim Schlossnagle's staff.  We expect that hire to be made public soon.

The fact is Texas A&M Athletic Director Trev Alberts set his sights on Earley after failing to lock in a couple of other candidates. It's somewhat of a risky hire for the Aggies, as Earley has no head coaching experience and only eight years of coaching experience total. I've been told the big money at Texas A&M was expecting a much bigger name when it came to fulfilling this position.

We also expect the Longhorns to lose Caleb Longley from their staff.  Longley spent the last three years in Austin under former coach David Pierce.  Both Longley and Earley spent time working together at Arizona State.

OTF does not expect for anyone else on the staff to leave at this time.

What does this mean for Texas? It mainly affects portal recruiting, as it will be much tougher to pull the Texas A&M players who entered the portal after Schloss' departure. We originally thought the Horns could land three to four former Aggies, but now I don't believe that to be the case.

Texas continues to be very active in the portal and that will be the status quo over the next few weeks.

As I reported yesterday, the Longhorns are also set to make an off the field hire in a pivotal role. In fact, that hire has already been made, but expect it to be public relatively soon. It's a name Texas fans are familiar with and will generate some buzz.  

Aggie hiring Early was a bailout move to keep their current players. They were about to be in deep sh!! with no head coach and basically no team. Hiring a head coach with zero experience is borderline dumb but they don’t have a choice. I don’t see this being a long term move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, VaHorn said:

Is this the off the field hire in a pivotal role?  And if yes, what is Kendall’s other domino?

Tulo is on the field. Drew Bishop was the pivotal off the field role. 

• Hook 'Em 2