Would SEC expand again?……

Indications are that they don’t feel a need to at this point. They don’t feel they have to match the Big 10s 18, and are comfortable with 16. If they expand further it would likely be triggered by an implosion of the ACC, which many feel is coming. 
Who would the SEC desire? Certainly North Carolina who would be a perfect SEC fit. Clemson, FSU and Virginia would also be candidates. 

Posted (edited)

I think at some point, 2 years or 8 years, its coming(20 is my thought but 24 is not out the question for both Sec/B1G). 
1. Are teams still attached at the hip? (Would UNC come without Duke or NcSt)? 
2. Would big10 want a foot hold in the south, Florida and Texas and maybe Georgia(FSU/Miami, Aggy/TT, GT). 
if i were Sec, i would lean with UNC, VT, Clemson/Fsu for 20. If they go 24 Kansas, Virginia, Duke, ?. Can make a case for many teams for spot 22-24. 

i dont think Aggy goes B1G even though there is twitter chatter. 

Edited by TheContractor12

Posted (edited)

20 teams 
West: Texas, Ou, A&M, Lsu, OleMiss, MissSt, Arky, Mizzou, Vandy, Kentucky

East: Bama, Au, UGA, Tenn, Florida, USCe, Clemson, Fsu, UNC, VT 

though i would prefer the Pod system so we can play everyone much more often. 

SW: Texas, Ou, A&M, Arky, Mizzou

Swamp: Lsu, OleMiss, Miss St, Bama, Auburn

SE: UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky

Coastal: USCe, Fsu, Clemson, UNC, VT 

Edited by TheContractor12
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TheContractor12 said:

20 teams 
West: Texas, Ou, A&M, Lsu, OleMiss, MissSt, Arky, Mizzou, Vandy, Kentucky

East: Bama, Au, UGA, Tenn, Florida, USCe, Clemson, Fsu, UNC, VT 

though i would prefer the Pod system so we can play everyone much more often. 

SW: Texas, Ou, A&M, Arky, Mizzou

Swamp: Lsu, OleMiss, Miss St, Bama, Auburn

SE: UGA, Florida, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky

Coastal: USCe, Fsu, Clemson, UNC, VT 

I don't think moving to 20 increases the payout.  If it does go for it.  If it doesn't moving to 20 only complicates things.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 40acres said:

I don't think moving to 20 increases the payout.  If it does go for it.  If it doesn't moving to 20 only complicates things.

Agree on payout. The models I’ve see, the SEC will out scale the Big 10s revenue in 3-4 years, particularly with the Big 10 now being coast to coast. The SEC feels like “less is more”.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 40acres said:

it has to increase payout or no one will agree, i am assuming it would but yes, no guarantee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TheContractor12 said:

it has to increase payout or no one will agree, i am assuming it would but yes, no guarantee. 

At some point you reach a point where the revenue generated will result in lower payouts to the schools, snd they’ll get smaller pieces of the pie. The key is reaching that sweet spot. As of now, I think the SEC believes they are in that spot. But things change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The big 10 will only go after aau schools so they won’t be interested in Clemson or fsu. Miami, duke, uva, unc and Georgia tech are aau as are notre dame and pitttsburgh. I don’t know if any of those schools except notre dame and maybe Miami are that significant nationally. 

adding unc and uva is like adding Maryland and Rutgers as they did several years ago—just a play to add more geographic interest without really upgrading the athletic landscape (although unc basketball is a blue blood).  Do they add enough television overall to increase the overall payout? Those are questions answered by people above my pay grade.