Air, Nike…Who Are The Agents?

Ironically I just watched the movie Air about the Nike pursuit of Michael Jordan a week ago. What I found interesting was Nike’s willingness to think outside of the box. Pun partially intended. Seeing the Nike rep interacting with Phil Knight and then Knights willingness to risk protocol for the chance of a breakthrough deal has me wondering the methodology of Oregons approach. The portrayal of Jordan’s agents involvement was also revealing. Is it Oregon or is it the agent who’s the spin master? Is Oregon going straight to the parent which we know in Moore’s case already had relationship with the Moore family?

I’m curious also if agents are using Texas as leverage. Moore’s commit to Oregon is eerily similar to what we’ve heard about Damonic Williams. Kid makes silent verbal commit but already has last visit scheduled at another school. Texas has its deal seemingly agreed upon and buttoned up. Last visit school offers more money and/or concessions. Texas holds pat on already agreed to deal for integrity, culture, or whatever sake relenting the negotiations. I’m not convinced one bit about the reason kid flips put out to media. Whenever someone says it’s not about the money? It’s always about the money.

How can we find out what agent/agents are bringing all these kids to Oregon?  What’s in it for them? Are they able to represent the parents/benefactor separately from the kid? Are they paid to get a kid to visit? Is it more for the last visit? Or, are they being circumvented then succumbing to the Nike ether?

I wonder if CDC, Hartzell, & Sark are beginning to think outside of the box? Or is there just still too much of NIL up in the air? 

• Hook 'Em 2

Thanks for sharing! I had a thought based on what Nike did with MJ, as detailed in Air. That in addition to NIL perhaps Nike is finding a way of giving players a percentage of their merch/Oregon football merch sold allowing them addition sources of revenue that very few if any other schools can or are offering right now. Oregon has been a strong program for a while with strong recruiting, but the recent uptick in big gets of out of state kids makes me very suspicious that they are just going a little further than others can. Great post, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Alex Butler said:

Thanks for sharing! I had a thought based on what Nike did with MJ, as detailed in Air. That in addition to NIL perhaps Nike is finding a way of giving players a percentage of their merch/Oregon football merch sold allowing them addition sources of revenue that very few if any other schools can or are offering right now. Oregon has been a strong program for a while with strong recruiting, but the recent uptick in big gets of out of state kids makes me very suspicious that they are just going a little further than others can. Great post, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!!

Thank you and I believe we can choose to whine, rest on our laurels, or sit on our hands but I believe this is a conundrum we can get out in front of and overcome. 

• Hook 'Em 1