Kenny Baker officially hired

AUSTIN, Texas — Kenny Baker, a member of the Miami Dolphins coaching staff in 2023, is joining the Texas Football staff as defensive line coach, Steve Sarkisian announced on Tuesday. He joins the Longhorns' staff with experience coaching at the high school, college and professional levels. Prior to the Dolphins, Baker spent 11 of his 15 years in coaching at the collegiate level.

"Kenny came highly recommended from people in the industry I really respect, and I had a great time talking with him during the interview process. He'll be an awesome addition to our staff," said Sarkisian. "He brings a ton of energy, experience, and passion for the job, and I know our players, coaches and staff will love working with him. Everywhere he's been, the defenses he's helped coach have played at a high level, and they've all been aggressive, attacking defenses like ours here. Kenny has a tremendous track record of developing players and being a teacher of the game, and he has coached a lot of outstanding defensive lineman while working in high school, college, and the NFL. He checks all the boxes as a coach, will be a tremendous developer of men and will fit in great with us. We're so excited to have Kenny on board and can't wait to get him to Austin and get him started."

Baker spent the 2023 season as assistant defensive line coach for the Dolphins, where he was a part of a staff that helped lead Miami to an 11-6 record and a spot in the wildcard round of the playoffs. The 11-6 mark was tied for the second-best record in the NFL, and the defense Baker helped coach finished the season ranked 10th in the NFL in total defense (318.3 ypg) — the franchise's first top-10 ranking in that category since 2010. Miami's rush defense was one of the best in the NFL, as well, ranking seventh (97.1 ypg) and tying for the sixth-fewest yards per rush (3.8). The Dolphins aggressive defensive attack led the NFL in quarterback hits (131) and knockdowns (72), registered the league's third-most sacks (56) and tied for eighth with 27 forced turnovers — forcing at least one turnover in an NFL-best 12-straight games to end the season. Only the Ravens (60) and Chiefs (57) had more than Miami's franchise-record shattering 56 sacks in 2023. The Dolphins recorded a sack in every game of 2023, including multiple sacks in nine-straight games at one point, with defensive tackle Zach Sieler setting a team record for sacks by a DT with 10. Fellow DT Christian Wilkins also broke the previous DT sack mark with nine on the season. 

The 2023 season was Baker's first as an NFL coach following 11 years in the collegiate ranks. Prior to his stint in Miami, Baker spent three seasons at Western Kentucky where he coached defensive ends (2020) and defensive line (2021-22). The Hilltoppers advanced to bowl games in all three seasons, including wins in the last two (2021-22).

"What an awesome opportunity this is, and I couldn't be more excited," Baker said. "First and foremost, it's The University of Texas. It has a history, tradition and standard of excellence that any coach would dream of being associated with. As a longtime fan of college football who has followed Texas from afar, I've always appreciated how they do things the right way and are so well respected. What a privilege and honor it is to come to Austin and be part of the Longhorn Football program and this great university. It's incredible for my family, too, we all can't wait to get started and connect with the Longhorn community."

"I'm really excited to be working with Coach Sark. He's accomplished so much in his coaching career, and what he's done in bringing Texas back and building the culture here is evident. When he reached out, I couldn't have been more excited, and it was a no-brainer that I wanted the job. But after getting to know him and his staff, I knew what they had going on here was something I definitely wanted to be a part of. That's a great group who have a passion for coaching, teaching and developing men. Those are all things that I value greatly, too, and have been ingrained in me by my father, who was my high school principal, and my mother, who was my elementary school teacher. Playing a part in that for the exceptional student-athletes that come to Texas is truly a blessing."

In 2022, Western Kentucky had the second-best scoring defense in Conference USA, limiting opponents to just 23.4 points per game. They totaled 32.0 sacks, good for second in the conference, and ranked third in total defense, allowing 383.9 yards per game. The Hilltoppers defeated South Alabama in the New Orleans Bowl.

Baker worked closely in 2021 with defensive end DeAngelo Malone, the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year. Malone tied for the conference lead with 16.5 tackles for loss and ranked second with eight sacks. His 88 tackles were the most among all FBS defensive linemen. He was selected by the Atlanta Falcons in the third round (82nd overall) of the 2022 NFL Draft. Western Kentucky won nine games, including the C-USA East division, and the Boca Raton Bowl. 
In Baker's first season with Western Kentucky in 2020, he helped Malone earn first-team All-Conference USA honors. His six sacks were tied for third-most in the conference, as the team finished with the second-best pass defense (177.3 ypg) in the C-USA that season.

In 2019, Baker spent one season at UT-Chattanooga where he helped develop three players into All-Southern Conference selections – Devonnsha Maxwell (first team), Khayyan Edwards (second team) and Telvin Jones (second team). Maxwell led the Mocs with seven sacks and finished second in the conference with 13 tackles for loss.

For five seasons (2014-18), Baker was the defensive line coach at Mercer. In 2017, the Bears led the SoCon in red zone defense (.750), takeaways (25) and turnover margin (+9). Defensive lineman Isaiah Buehler earned first-team All-SoCon honors with 5.5 sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss. In 2015, Mercer had the conference's best scoring defense (21.6).

A native of Cartersville, Ga., Baker's coaching career began as a student assistant at his alma mater, Gardner-Webb, in 2009. He moved on to defensive coordinator at Lakeside High School in Evans, Ga., from 2010-12 and was the co-defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at Berry College in 2013.

A three-year starter on the defensive line and four-year letterman at Gardner-Webb, he was a team captain and earned the team's Defensive Player of the Year award in 2007. He earned a bachelor's degree in health & physical education from Gardner-Webb in 2009 and a master's in high education leadership from Mercer in 2018.

Baker and his wife, Tesia, have a son, Myles.

• Hook 'Em 3