In defense of Rodney Terry

I will start off by saying this. I do not think Rodney Terry is a top 10 coach in college basketball. I just don’t think he’s in the elite tier of college coaches. However, he has proven to be a good coach and here’s why.

He coached Texas to an Elite 8 after taking over during the season. Last years team had a ton of really good college players but no future NBA prospects, besides Dillon Mitchell whose star has faded over time (also Dylan Disu may be a pro but he needs to stay healthy and is borderline at best right now). The best teams year over year are led by players who end up in the league, even if they didn’t have the star ratings coming into college.

In addition to that, the two Crown Jewels of his recruiting class ended up pursuing pro routes due to circumstances out of his control. Ron Holland is a projected top 5 pick and AJ Johnson would provide this team with much needed scoring punch from the 2/3 spot. This is at worst a top 15 team in the country with those two on the team this year. He also has Tre Johnson, another top 10 recruit committed for next year, so he can clearly recruit blue chip players.

I’m not saying that RT can’t get better as a coach because he definitely can. I just think he’s actually a good coach and if given the time, he could have a top 12 program year in and year out.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Use your eyes.   Does the team consistently look well coached?

Yes they actually do if you know basketball. His offensive coaching needs to improve but what does he have to work with? Even Houston (a top 4 team in the country) looks rough on offense at points & Kelvin Sampson has had years to build that program up & get his guys in there. Let’s be serious here & not use our feelings to cloud our judgment.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, goattalk100 said:

Yes they actually do if you know basketball. His offensive coaching needs to improve but what does he have to work with? Even Houston (a top 4 team in the country) looks rough on offense at points & Kelvin Sampson has had years to build that program up & get his guys in there. Let’s be serious here & not use our feelings to cloud our judgment.

Against BYU the defensive game plan was quickly exploited with easy baskets and it took at least a half to adjust.   Last night, we had an opportunity to have the last possession in regulation and to run a play to win, but instead our coach didn't call timeout and mayhem ensued.   Then there are the questionable personnel decisions where multiple players who can't create are playing at the same time, leading to long lulls and momentum swings.   I could on.  This team plays average basketball and is coached to do so.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Against BYU the defensive game plan was quickly exploited with easy baskets and it took at least a half to adjust.   Last night, we had an opportunity to have the last possession in regulation and to run a play to win, but instead our coach didn't call timeout and mayhem ensued.   Then there are the questionable personnel decisions where multiple players who can't create are playing at the same time, leading to long lulls and momentum swings.   I could on.  This team plays average basketball and is coached to do so.

All of what you said is true, but you can’t look at 2 games & say boom that’s it. What about the ranked games they won just before that? What about not calling a timeout & trusting the players against Baylor? I think that turned out ok. You can’t look at one set of data to justify your opinion. I’m not saying he’s a perfect coach & there are necessary improvements needed. But in today’s day & age in college basketball it’s not add water get final four team.

• Hook 'Em 2