First Steps Taken for New Indoor Facility

• Moderators

The first steps are being taken for the Longhorns’ need indoor multi-purpose facility on campus, just south of Moncrief and DKR.

Construction and demolition works have begun cutting trees and marking the building of the School of Social Work for demolition set to begin in November. 

Of course the Texas indoor facility is at the Frank Denius Fields and is severely outdated. Here is a look at the rendering for the new indoor facility. 
IMG_5093.thumb.jpeg.8b273a843279273c8c9757bade3870f2.jpeg

I drove by campus this morning for a Quick Look.  

• Hook 'Em 11
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, TxEx14 said:

Never thought I’d be the guy to say “hate to see those mature oaks go” but here I am… 

University will probably find a way to monetize the cuts!

Perhaps the toughest part is seeing those big ole trees go

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, HornsRUs said:

Will that target completion also coincide with new grass fields at DKR? I believe CDC or Sark had mentioned it would come after the new practice facility or something like that 

Texas will move to grass at DKR in 2026 as well

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, TxEx14 said:

Never thought I’d be the guy to say “hate to see those mature oaks go” but here I am… 

University will probably find a way to monetize the cuts!

Same thing happened back in the early 70s when they cut down the oaks on the west side of the stadium to add the upper deck.  Big protests on campus.  It is real shame they were never replaced.

1 hour ago, Drunk randoke said:

I’m probably behind.  Is the building being torn down the one the state historical commission was looking at possibly protecting?  I have zero doubt Abbott and Eltife will get what they want but i thought there some potential hurdles.  

It was the former University Junior High School.  Architecturally insignificant but with emotional attachment for some.  I think the façade of one exterior wall will be preserved. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Drunk randoke said:

I’m probably behind.  Is the building being torn down the one the state historical commission was looking at possibly protecting?  I have zero doubt Abbott and Eltife will get what they want but i thought there some potential hurdles.  

Yep