Wednesday Morning Notes from the Road (7:28 a.m.)

• Moderators

I made the quick trip over to Del Valle High School Tuesday afternoon to get updated on a few prospects that could pop up on college radars over the next couple of months. There were three that really caught my eye that I will dive into a bit further into this piece.

First off, Del Valle has produced a solid D1 piece or two basically every other year since I arrived in Austin. The school has tremendous facilities, some of the nicest in the state, yet has seen a lot of turnover at the head coaching spot over the last few years. Now with Coach Todd Patmon in charge, it is expected to see much improved consistency on the field and development for prospects.

Steve Sarkisian and Johnny Nansen stopped by on January 12. I believe this was the first stop for Nansen as a member of the Texas staff. 

But to the point of the trip, I wanted to get an update on 2025 DB Coleman Patmon and his recruitment. The 6-foot-3 defensive back is the younger brother of former Kansas (2009-11) Oklahoma State CB Tyler Patmon (2012-13), who ended up spending parts of five seasons in the NFL for six different franchises.

Patmon has started popping on the recruiting trail a good bit. Since January 24, Patmon has received offers from Minnesota, Arizona, North Texas, TCU and Arkansas. 

The interesting part here is where Patmon projects the best. He told me on the trip that the majority of schools view him as a safety or cornerback with of course nickel being thrown into the mix. TCU pitched the idea of linebacker which is where I had originally anticipated his body would lend him to fit best once he matured out a bit.

As an athlete, there are no questions about Patmon. He has superb height and length, and during workouts, he displayed effortless flexibility with easy strides when running.

Sarkisian and Nansen met with Patmon for about 15 minutes when they visited campus just over a month ago. The Longhorns have yet to offer, but they did push for Patmon to visit campus for the January 20 Junior Day – Patmon was on campus at Houston that weekend, however.

Right now, only Houston has an official visit locked in for Patmon. There were also discussions about trips to TCU and Arkansas. I will be interested to see if Texas circles back around in the spring time or tries to get him back on campus for one of the spring ball visit weekends.

Clips from January 13, 2023, well over a year ago.

2025 Del Valle DL Jeremiah Robinson caught my attention as well. He recently was named DL MVP of the Texas Football Showcase hosted over the weekend in central Texas. Robinson is 6-foot-1, though only 260 pounds at the moment. 

Robinson does bring plus wingspan and hand size, though the weight could be a bit of a deterrent at the moment. Regardless, a 2nd team All-District recipient from a year ago should not be overlooked in a district with Westlake, Lake Travis and Dripping Springs.

The final prospect I wanted to highlight was 2026 LB Michael Dent III. Of course the idea of Patmon as a LB crossed my mind when I heard Nansen stopped by to visit, though perhaps I was overlooking Dent. Only two offers are in the book right now for Dent (Arkansas State and North Texas), but there remains plenty of room for him to develop.

Dent is a basketball player as well and will run track in the spring. The coaching staff at DV told me Arkansas State's coaching staff offered after watching him dunk from a stationary two-footed stance in January. TCU and Texas State hosted Dent for games in the fall. Plenty of room to develop for Dent, but someone that has the athletic tools to become a P5 guy.

I will be out on the road again this morning. The goal is a school per morning for the remainder of the week. Will bring updates throughout the week.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, goathumper said:

Dunking from a standstill is incredibly impressive. I would think any athlete who can do that will have 20+ offers 

I am sure this spring will bring some new offers his direction.