In-Depth With No. 1 2025 ATH Michael Terry III

• Moderators

As y'all know, yesterday I took a quick trip to San Antonio to catch up with the country's top athlete – 2025 Alamo Heights ATH Michael Terry III.

I dropped some quick tidbits yesterday on the trip, but wanted to go more in-depth from our conversation today. Terry is up to 19 offers now in his recruitment and the Longhorns are squarely in the fold after offering officially during the January 20 Junior Day.

"It is a pretty fun process," Terry said of his recruitment. "Getting to meet all of the new coaches and seeing the facilities of where I could be playing. It is really cool."

The nation's top athlete has been recruited all over the place on the offensive side of the ball. Many programs see him as a do-it-all catalyst, while others envision the 6-foot-3 playmaker as a wide receiver and others at running back. Texas has yet to pick a side on the argument and instead are wanting to get Terry to campus again before truly siding with a specific position.

Luckily for the Longhorns, offering Terry on the Junior Day left a positive impression.

"That was a pretty cool experience," Terry said. "We went to Coach Sark's office and we all talked together. It was a pretty cool experience getting (the offer) from him."

Communication with the Texas staff bounces back and forth from Steve Sarkisian to Tashard Choice – it is worth mentioning that Tashard Choice was the first coach to extend an offer to Terry during his 8th grade season. Choice was still at Georgia Tech at the time.

As for spring visits, Terry has the Nebraska spring game on April 27 circled as a visit he is hoping to get out to. Aside from that, no other trips have been locked in just yet.

On the Texas Junior Day, Terry mentioned an unofficial top three of Texas, TCU and Texas Tech. Since then, other schools that have made a solid impression include Oregon, Nebraska and Texas A&M.

Texas is hanging around this recruitment right now, though I would throw caution anyone into pencilling Terry into the class at the moment. I believe it is a pretty open recruitment, though the staffs that are able to pitch position specifics and usage plans will have an upper hand in my eyes.

As we move forward, I would focus on Texas, TCU, Texas A&M out of the in-state schools. We will see if Terry gets up to Oregon, and I will follow up with how the Nebraska trip went.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 6

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

My opinion on where he should play in college varies from clip to clip. If he stays on offense (looks like he might make an incredible OLB), process of elimination says WR. Doubt he's a RB or TE at the next level.

I love him as a long-term WR.

• Hook 'Em 3

I definitely want him to come to Texas.WR/TE? 

However, if he went somewhere with less quality depth at the skill positions, he could be a Deebo Samuel+. He could play any receiver position & occasional RB. (UTSA?)

The 'Horns have so much depth in the RB room they don't need to move guys in from other positions like we did with Roschon & JWhitt not so long ago.

He probably has to pick a position & stick with it as a Longhorn.

Yes, I know he can play defense, but I have always believed that the best defensive players have a special attitude: They want to hit; to deliver a blow. I've seen seen great offensive players take every hit & get up & come back for more but they don't necessarily want to deliver the blow. (of course, I've seen DBs that don't want to deliver the blow as well.) I just haven't seen enough defensive film on young Mr Terry form an opinion on him as a defender.

It also looks like he'd make a pretty good back up punter.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, gus fleener said:

I definitely want him to come to Texas.WR/TE? 

However, if he went somewhere with less quality depth at the skill positions, he could be a Deebo Samuel+. He could play any receiver position & occasional RB. (UTSA?)

The 'Horns have so much depth in the RB room they don't need to move guys in from other positions like we did with Roschon & JWhitt not so long ago.

He probably has to pick a position & stick with it as a Longhorn.

Yes, I know he can play defense, but I have always believed that the best defensive players have a special attitude: They want to hit; to deliver a blow. I've seen seen great offensive players take every hit & get up & come back for more but they don't necessarily want to deliver the blow. (of course, I've seen DBs that don't want to deliver the blow as well.) I just haven't seen enough defensive film on young Mr Terry form an opinion on him as a defender.

It also looks like he'd make a pretty good back up punter.

The hold up with Texas and Terry that I see is he does not fit the traditional mold of WRs that Texas has recruited since Sarkisian has arrived – Aaron Butler, Johntay Cook, Ryan Niblett, Freddie Dubose and even the portal adds.

Terry is tremendous with the ball in his hands. My question is – does the burst and acceleration line up with what Texas has pursued in the past? Plus, he mentioned that Chris Jackson has yet to reach out consistently.

• Hook 'Em 6

Some on here have mentioned flex TE. I am also intrigued by that possibility. He may not have the size yet, but I wonder how he compares to Sanders or Niblack when they were in high school. I'm pretty sure he's faster & the thought of that level of speed & athleticism at TE is pretty exciting.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, gus fleener said:

Some on here have mentioned flex TE. I am also intrigued by that possibility. He may not have the size yet, but I wonder how he compares to Sanders or Niblack when they were in high school. I'm pretty sure he's faster & the thought of that level of speed & athleticism at TE is pretty exciting.

Both Niblack and Sanders exited college at 230+ pounds, plus spent time in the trenches at times. Neither is the case so far for Terry who spends most of his snaps in the backfield at QB/RB.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wingo is listed by On3 at 6'1.5" 210#s

Terry is listed by On3 at 6'3" 210#s

My thinking was that Terry might have room on his frame to add muscle since he's taller $, presumably, younger.

I know Niblack is in the 230s now & Sanders is currently listed at 6'3" 252#s by NFL Draft Buzz.

It does appear both Sanders & Niblack were heavier in high school.

I just think it's an intriguing possibility.

• Hook 'Em 1