VB Jerritt Elliott gets contract extension

AUSTIN — The University of Texas and Head Volleyball Coach Jerritt Elliott have agreed on a four-year contract extension, UT VP and Lois and Richard Folger Athletics Director Chris Del Conte announced on Monday. Elliott's current contract runs through 2025 and the four-year extension takes it to a six-year deal through 2029. He completed his 23rd season at Texas last fall, has won three National Championships (2012, 2022, 2023) and led the Longhorns to the Final Four in eight of the last 12 seasons. Elliott's title will now be Director of Volleyball & Head Volleyball Coach.

"Jerritt Elliott is absolutely the best at what he does, his program has had unprecedented success, and we're thrilled to be announcing this contract extension," said Del Conte. "The extraordinary success his teams have had for a long, long time is well documented. During his historic run, he's positioned our program in the absolute elite of college volleyball. But it goes well beyond the wins and championships. Coach Elliott's an extraordinary leader and representative of our great university. He takes a holistic approach to developing and building a team, and the culture he's built — from our student-athletes to fan support and the overall brand of Texas Volleyball — really stands out.

"The student-athletes in Coach Elliott's program achieve at the highest level on the court and in the classroom, while serving as great role models on campus and in the community. Everything in his program is done at a championship level. He's first class in every way, we're so lucky to have him, and we're looking forward to many more great years for our Volleyball program under his leadership."

In 23 years leading the Texas Volleyball program and 25 seasons total as a head coach, Elliott has cemented himself among the all-time greats in the sport with three National Championships and a 639-126 career record. He is the eighth Division I women's volleyball head coach to win three national championships and his .835 winning percentage ranks as the sixth-best all-time among Division I coaches. 

"I want to thank Chris Del Conte, Sarah Baumgartner and Chris Plonsky for their commitment to me and to growing the sport of volleyball," Elliott said. "Everyone in Texas Athletics has been extremely supportive, and I'm so grateful to be here. Texas is home for me and I'm excited to continue pursuing championships and growing the game in years to come. I want to thank my entire staff for all they do for me and the women in this program. I'm lucky to have these incredible people around me that help make Texas Volleyball what it is today."

Elliott's program has been the model of consistency for nearly two decades now, being the only Division I volleyball program to have ended each of the last 18 seasons ranked in the top 10. The Longhorns have spent each of the last 220 AVCA polls ranked in the top 10, while the last time Texas was not ranked in the top 10 was Oct. 11, 2010. The Longhorns have also finished in the top five in 15 of the last 18 seasons, including 11-straight years from 2008-18. Additionally, Texas has the nation's longest active streak of NCAA Regional Semifinal ("Sweet 16") appearances with 18-straight. Of the last 18 regional semifinal appearances, the Longhorns have advanced to 17 Regional Finals, 11 National Semifinals and seven National Championship matches.

The 2023 season saw Elliott and Texas Volleyball accomplish something only achieved by eight other Longhorn programs in history – winning back-to-back National Championships. Texas finished the season with a 28-4 overall record and swept Nebraska in dominating fashion in the championship match. Madisen Skinner was named the Final Four Most Outstanding Player after having already earned Big 12 Player of the Year honors. Asjia O'Neal, Emma Halter and Ella Swindle joined Skinner on the Final Four All-Tournament Team. O'Neal capped off an incredible career with her second-consecutive National Championship and was named a First Team AVCA All-American, along with Skinner.

Ten years after winning his first national championship, Elliott led Texas back to the top of the NCAA Volleyball world by winning the 2022 National Championship with a 28-1 overall record. Logan Eggleston was named the AVCA National Player of the Year and Final Four Most Outstanding Player after leading the Longhorns with 19 kills in the championship match. Selected as the No. 1 overall seed in the 2022 NCAA Tournament, the Longhorns spent 13 of 14 weeks ranked in the top spot during the season. Eggleston, who was named Big 12 Player of the Year for the third time, led a group of six players on the All-America teams, including fellow first teamers O'Neal and Zoe Fleck.

A magical run in 2012 culminated with Elliott's first national title and the program's third National Championship after the Longhorns swept Oregon, 3-0, in the title match. Texas finished with a 29-4 record while earning another Big 12 title with a 15-1 mark. The Longhorns finished the season by winning 23 of their final 24 matches. Bailey Webster, Haley Eckerman, Khat Bell and Sha'Dare McNeal earned AVCA All-America honors. Webster was named Most Outstanding Player for the NCAA Tournament, while Eckerman earned Big 12 Player of the Year honors. Elliott was named AVCA National Coach of the Year.

• Hook 'Em 7