KJ Lacey to Put Recruiting Hat On for 2025 Class

• Moderators

I chatted a bit with KJ Lacey over the weekend following his performance at the Elite 11 which earned him an invitation to the Finals in California later this spring.

The Texas commit visited campus Monday where he was able to spend time with Steve Sarkisian and the staff after taking in a spring practice during the morning hours.

While programs like Oregon, Auburn and Ole Miss have continued to recruit Lacey over the last six months, Lacey reaffirmed his commitment status to me. Lacey added he has three trips planned for the spring and summer months – all of which to Texas (April 6, April 20, June 21-23 OV). No visits planned anywhere else at the moment and Lacey said he hopes to keep it like that.

"My commitment is still really strong," Lacey said. "I have been talking to them all the time, getting everything right about the official visit part and when I am going to visit, plus who I need to be recruiting."

Lacey has put on his recruiting hat a bit for the Longhorn 2025 class. He mentioned three wide receivers that he will be courting to Texas as the cycle progresses: Dakorien Moore, Jaime Ffrench and Kaliq Lockett.

As for the commits in the class, Lacey said he is beginning to build a strong relationship with Emaree Winston as well. The two talk and text often throughout the week.

The next time Lacey does make it to campus, his recruiting skills will be put to the test. Wide receivers Kaliq Lockett, Jaime Ffrench and Kelshaun Johnson will all be in attendance. Plus guys like John Mills and Tyler Thomas as well on the offensive side of the ball.

All in all, a good visit to Austin for Lacey. 

I won't say there is nothing to worry about because Texas will need to continue recruiting through the whistle, but Texas is where Lacey wants to be at the moment and he reiterated that to me on Sunday.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 11

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, John Moore said:

His visit schedule to Austin and comments make it seem like he's all in. I believe there is a bit of Texas fan PTSD when you see Oregon, Ole Miss and Auburn concerning a recruit b/c of prior history.

You’re absolutely right. I’m of the belief KJ wants to be at Texas. I’d be surprised at this point to see another QB offer extended unless the staff has reevaluated the position and switch courses on who they believe is the better prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 3