Best returning player poll (defense)

I was pretty shocked to see Anthony Hill dominating and no Williams or Muhammad on the list.. 

I had to go Jahdae.. I am not sure Ant is even the best LB returning based on the 2023 season. The potential is definitely there, just a matter of when the light goes on. If we are voting on potential,  you have to include Derek Williams/Muhammad. Both of them graded out significantly higher, than Hill.  Collins should be on the list. He finished the 3rd highest rated defender on the season for Texas by PFF (behind Sweat and Murphy). 

PFF ratings: 

Collins 80.0

Muhammad 78.5

Sorrell: 71.9

Barron: 71.5

Burke: 70.9

Gbenda: 68.8

Williams: 68.7

Brooks: 62.9

Hill: 60.1

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators

It feels like it could be a wide open conversation. If Alfred Collins ends up being the best Def. player for Texas next year, the iDL will no longer be a weak spot or question mark.

If I could call my shot, I would bet Anthony Hill Jr. becoming the most impactful Longhorn on the defensive side of the ball in 2024.

5 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

It feels like it could be a wide open conversation. If Alfred Collins ends up being the best Def. player for Texas next year, the iDL will no longer be a weak spot or question mark.

If I could call my shot, I would bet Anthony Hill Jr. becoming the most impactful Longhorn on the defensive side of the ball in 2024.

Thoughts on who would be the most impactful defensive newcomer? Andrew Mukuba is my best bet… he’s great when he plays safety. But, Trey Moore, Tia Savea, and freshman early enrollees (particularly if/when injuries happen) like Collin Simmons, Kobe Black, Xavier Filsaime, Alex January could all be impact guys IMO

1 minute ago, CJ Vogel said:

I think you could argue that the most impactful player returning in Muhammad. As a true freshmen, he was the best cover player in the secondary. That is at a premium position. I love Hill and I think he will be a star, but his play down to down was pretty inconsistent. I am just saying you have to predict a pretty big leap in production to say the best defender is Hill in 2024 (and it is definitely possible, based on his talent). I think people are seriously under-estimating the play of Collins last year. I believe he was ranked in the 20s by PFF for IDL in the country. Texas's edge at DT was the wave of NFL guys they could send at an OL. Collins could be very good and the position will still  be less productive. I am not sure there is a nose that will play anywhere close to Murphy.. 

Barron is good, but has he reached his ceiling? He's as good as any DB I've seen at Texas within 5-10 yards of the LOS, but he's less effective the further away he gets. 

If any or all of Collins, Burke, Hill, and Williams make jumps, look out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bobby Burton said:

Best returning player at this point is likely Barron. But I don't know that he'll be most impactful.

The most impactful player may play the Nose. Texas has had the luxury of having a quality Nose for the last few years. Its the one spot on the front 7, that has me concerned. There is not much experience there. I am hoping Sydir makes a huge step this off-season. Hate to see Collins forced to play the nose. I shudder at the thought of Broughton there.. 

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Barron is good, but has he reached his ceiling? He's as good as any DB I've seen at Texas within 5-10 yards of the LOS, but he's less effective the further away he gets. 

If any or all of Collins, Burke, Hill, and Williams make jumps, look out.

Fair points.

Going into the season, I'd still go with Barron as best player. But I think he will be overtaken. I'd go with multiple players who do that - Burke, Hill, Williams, Brooks and Muhammad.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CaseMcCoyTruther said:

Thoughts on who would be the most impactful defensive newcomer? Andrew Mukuba is my best bet… he’s great when he plays safety. But, Trey Moore, Tia Savea, and freshman early enrollees (particularly if/when injuries happen) like Collin Simmons, Kobe Black, Xavier Filsaime, Alex January could all be impact guys IMO

Mukuba is probably the odds on favorite. Moore is my favorite here. I love his addition off the edge.

• Hook 'Em 1