horns96 Posted 23 minutes ago Posted 23 minutes ago 28 minutes ago, ArizonaLonghorn said: I also wondered about the numbers, the sheer tonnage of data they collect and analyze in such a short time, so I dug into it a bit. 138 FBS teams and these are graded first. So a max # of 138 games if each played the same day against a non-FBS team (which is unlikely, but a hard ceiling). 69 games if all 138 played other FBS teams but there are usually a few teams with bye weeks or the games are spread across different days. And the games are spread across 3 or 4 viewing windows during the day so they can finish say an early game while the 2nd window game plays, then work on the evening game. So probably need roughly half as many graders as games played on the busiest day. You ask "Do they employ 1000+ skilled tape watchers?" Check this PFF Player Grades link (free), scroll down to the "Who is doing the Grading?" block and it says they have "600 full or part-time analysts, but less than 10% of analysts are trained to the level that they can grade plays. " So 60-ish graders and another 9-10 support guys per grader. What do the support guys do? I guess they do the grunt work of chopping up the videos so the grader can simply grade, maybe IDing players and formations, breaking plays down into run vs pass etc. I've exchanged messages with a guy who works part time for PFF and he said he was responsible for one task on every play - with multiple guys doing this it would free up a grader to simply evaluate by position. How much actual time is taken up by active plays in a 60 minute game? I've heard 12-15 minutes, surely less than 20 minutes. So if the All-22 is broken down right they can probably grade two games a day. You mention "100 total players in each game" but they would only do 22 per play and somewhere in that link I gave you it says most plays grade as neutral for most of the players so they can probably rip thru it pretty fast. I was skeptical at first but I can see how they can pull it off. Hope this helps. Not trying to carry water for PFF, just trying to understand it better. This was something I dug into a little (I had the same concerns you raise) and now I can see how it makes sense that they could do it that quickly with 60 trained graders. Whether you agree with their ranking results is a different topic. @ArizonaLonghorn thanks, really appreciate the info. The last time I tried to look up their methodology was a couple of years ago and I couldn't find anything (might have been behind a paywall at that point?). I'm still skeptical how they can employ 600 quality analysts, but I'm encouraged they're being more transparent and appreciate you sharing that info 🤘 Quote
horns96 Posted 22 minutes ago Posted 22 minutes ago 32 minutes ago, ArizonaLonghorn said: I also wondered about the numbers, the sheer tonnage of data they collect and analyze in such a short time, so I dug into it a bit. 138 FBS teams and these are graded first. So a max # of 138 games if each played the same day against a non-FBS team (which is unlikely, but a hard ceiling). 69 games if all 138 played other FBS teams but there are usually a few teams with bye weeks or the games are spread across different days. And the games are spread across 3 or 4 viewing windows during the day so they can finish say an early game while the 2nd window game plays, then work on the evening game. So probably need roughly half as many graders as games played on the busiest day. You ask "Do they employ 1000+ skilled tape watchers?" Check this PFF Player Grades link (free), scroll down to the "Who is doing the Grading?" block and it says they have "600 full or part-time analysts, but less than 10% of analysts are trained to the level that they can grade plays. " So 60-ish graders and another 9-10 support guys per grader. What do the support guys do? I guess they do the grunt work of chopping up the videos so the grader can simply grade, maybe IDing players and formations, breaking plays down into run vs pass etc. I've exchanged messages with a guy who works part time for PFF and he said he was responsible for one task on every play - with multiple guys doing this it would free up a grader to simply evaluate by position. How much actual time is taken up by active plays in a 60 minute game? I've heard 12-15 minutes, surely less than 20 minutes. So if the All-22 is broken down right they can probably grade two games a day. You mention "100 total players in each game" but they would only do 22 per play and somewhere in that link I gave you it says most plays grade as neutral for most of the players so they can probably rip thru it pretty fast. I was skeptical at first but I can see how they can pull it off. Hope this helps. Not trying to carry water for PFF, just trying to understand it better. This was something I dug into a little (I had the same concerns you raise) and now I can see how it makes sense that they could do it that quickly with 60 trained graders. Whether you agree with their ranking results is a different topic. also, how do apply? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.