OTF on the road

2 hours ago, GoHorns1 said:

Santana and it’s not close.

I know!  Gerry Hamilton is probably the only person who has ever preferred the Fleetwood Mac version.

He probably thinks Stevie is singing on it.  I just listened to the Mac version again and it's not as bad as I remembered, but it's not Santana either.

4 hours ago, ArizonaLonghorn said:

I know!  Gerry Hamilton is probably the only person who has ever preferred the Fleetwood Mac version.

He probably thinks Stevie is singing on it.  I just listened to the Mac version again and it's not as bad as I remembered, but it's not Santana either.

Was this not before Nicks?  Maybe when Kirwan or Green was in the band?

8 hours ago, Burnt Orange Horn said:

Was this not before Nicks?  Maybe when Kirwan or Green was in the band?

Peter Green wrote the song and sang it.  And played a terrific lead guitar.  He was a very talented musician, but had mental problems and left the band too soon.

The Mac version of Black Magic Woman was their first sorta hit single, rising to # 37 in the UK in 1967 but not charting anywhere else in the world.  Over the next few years they had six more singles that charted but were mostly a blues band not well known outside England.  Then Christine Perfect (McVie) joined and later Stevie and Lindsay in the mid-70's and they exploded as a totally different sound (only the rhythm section, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, remained from the blues band). 

Carlos Santana liked Green's playing, sat in on some sessions and the Santana version was released in 1970.  It became their 2nd hit (after "Evil Ways") and went to # 4 in the US. 

I really enjoy Fleetwood Mac, especially the songs by Stevie and Christine, but to me the Santana cover of Black Magic Woman was much better.