JT Toppin NBA Testing #'s

Lane Agility = 11.12 seconds

Shuttle Run = 3.01 seconds

Three Quarter Sprint = 3.27 seconds

Standing Vertical = 28.5"

Max Vertial = 34.0"

That put him in the middle of all the PFs that tested, very similar to Trevon Brazile.

The rumor I saw today was Texas leads Tech.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Neil Leininger said:

Lane Agility = 11.12 seconds

Shuttle Run = 3.01 seconds

Three Quarter Sprint = 3.27 seconds

Standing Vertical = 28.5"

Max Vertial = 34.0"

That put him in the middle of all the PFs that tested, very similar to Trevon Brazile.

The rumor I saw today was Texas leads Tech.

Texas is definitely all in on him … and they haven’t pushed hard for anyone else.

It’s Toppin and the UCLA transfer from Turkey on the board right now. 

Not out of question both for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 6

I like Toppin a lot but I just don’t see how the front court would fit together. He’s pretty similar to Dillon Mitchell and I wasn’t a fan of the Mitchell+Shedrick duo when they played together. Disu was able to stretch the floor and let Mitchell occupy the dunker spot when they played together. Unless Shedrick and/or Toppin really expand their range, the paint’s going to be pretty clogged with that pairing. I’m assuming Toppin would start at the 4 and play the majority of the minutes at the 5 when Shedrick sits, but that could be an issue against bigger teams which would mean thrusting Onyema into a pretty big role which leads to its own question marks. Kent will fill in a lot of the gaps when he plays at the 4, but with Toppin and Shedrick both needing to play starter’s level minutes, that’s probably a pairing we’re going to be forced to play a lot together.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Travis Richard said:

Unless Shedrick and/or Toppin really expand their range, the paint’s going to be pretty clogged with that pairing. 

Shedrick shot pretty well from both the arc and the perimeter.  He could be the stretch 4 on offense if Toppin is in with him.  But as I think you suggest, Toppin should be seen as 15 min at Center,  with other minutes on occasion.  Toppin should eliminate the need to play Onyema for any substantial time.

Hawkins and Toppin were the only two singled out both days. 
The NIL would be more than a second round contract. He’s 6’7 so he’s a small forward in the NBA. 

If he is just not wanting to go to college anymore or has the wrong people around him then he is gone. 

10 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas is definitely all in on him … and they haven’t pushed hard for anyone else.

It’s Toppin and the UCLA transfer from Turkey on the board right now. 

Not out of question both for Texas.

That kid from UCLA isn’t ready. Is he planning to play two to five minutes a game?

6 hours ago, MarkInAustin said:

Those vertical numbers would have been ordinary in 1961.  Not bad, but about 2" low for expectations on a 6-9 PF who wasn't a Wide Body.

I thought  current training had evolved.

Actual legit measurement was 6’7’.

• Thanks 1

Buyuktuncel was hurt for most of the year.  NBA teams are still quite interested in him down the road.

I don't really see a problem with adding Toppin to Shedrick.  Both have shown decent midrange and out to the arc shooting, so both on the floor together can allow one to abuse the smaller defender inside while the other draws the longer defender outside. 

Shedrick has never averaged as much as 21 minutes per game in his career.  I doubt he'll become a 30 minute a game warrior for us.  That leaves plenty of minutes for Toppin and Kent, more since there will be those games in which all 3 play for a few minutes at the same time. 

We would have a much bigger problem if we didn't add Toppin and lost either Shedrick or Kent to injury.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, bierce said:

Buyuktuncel was hurt for most of the year.  NBA teams are still quite interested in him down the road.

I don't really see a problem with adding Toppin to Shedrick.  Both have shown decent midrange and out to the arc shooting, so both on the floor together can allow one to abuse the smaller defender inside while the other draws the longer defender outside. 

Shedrick has never averaged as much as 21 minutes per game in his career.  I doubt he'll become a 30 minute a game warrior for us.  That leaves plenty of minutes for Toppin and Kent, more since there will be those games in which all 3 play for a few minutes at the same time. 

We would have a much bigger problem if we didn't add Toppin and lost either Shedrick or Kent to injury.

My concern is Toppin staying in the draft. He’s getting better by the minute. 

48 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

My concern is Toppin staying in the draft. He’s getting better by the minute. 

Or he's getting more hype by the minute.  A bad game or scouts deciding he needs to work on perimeter offense puts him right back in college for another year.

I'd love to add him to our roster, but if he stays in the draft, then I hope we have another plan.  I really don't think Shedrick, Onyema, Codie, and Kent is enough to go through a season at the 5 and 4.  If we don't land another 5/4, then may Codie be healthy and productive from day one and Onyema a much more reliable player than he was in 2023-24.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, bierce said:

Or he's getting more hype by the minute.  A bad game or scouts deciding he needs to work on perimeter offense puts him right back in college for another year.

I'd love to add him to our roster, but if he stays in the draft, then I hope we have another plan.  I really don't think Shedrick, Onyema, Codie, and Kent is enough to go through a season at the 5 and 4.  If we don't land another 5/4, then may Codie be healthy and productive from day one and Onyema a much more reliable player than he was in 2023-24.

He looked great both times out. Perimeter game is developing nicely. Hype has caused many a team to draft a player. UCLA kid is the only other plan. Hawkins is most likely staying in the draft. They would have to pay someone coming back a lot. I can’t think of any names that would be interested. However, I don’t know what the coaching staff knows. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, sarcher93 said:

@Gerry Hamilton apparently Tech has counter-offered and worked their way back into the conversation. Have you heard of any update on Texas's chances and/or a counter-offer to the counter-offer in the works?

Not Gerry but if it’s money, Texas will not lose. Tech has missed on a lot of players. The kid they just got probably cost them a lot. 

3 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Expected to come back to college … but I’m chilling and waiting because it’s a horrible draft 

I can’t remember one that is worse. Travis Mays draft? Never nervous was the top pick. 

3 minutes ago, Jordan91 said:

Not Gerry but if it’s money, Texas will not lose. Tech has missed on a lot of players. The kid they just got probably cost them a lot. 

They have enough money for 1 big name. According to Tech insiders, they offered Toppin more money but he still chose Texas (if he returns). Then they upped their offer. Sounds like we just need to offer more and given his Combine performance he has earned it. Toppin is the the type of player you pay big money for because he likely has an NBA contract waiting for him

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, sarcher93 said:

They have enough money for 1 big name. According to Tech insiders, they offered Toppin more money but he still chose Texas (if he returns). Then they upped their offer. Sounds like we just need to offer more and given his Combine performance he has earned it. Toppin is the the type of player you pay big money for because he likely has an NBA contract waiting for him

Agree. Money won’t be a problem. 

Of course, a new stretch 4 hit the portal this week--Noah Waterman, 6'11" career .385 3pt shooter who takes twice as many 3s as 2s.

Late portal entry because Pope left BYU.  Probably going home to Syracuse or following Pope if there is room at Kentucky, but he's definitely a guy who helps open the offense.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/15/2024 at 9:11 PM, bierce said:

Onyema played pretty well against UConn and Cincinnati in reasonable minutes, and not so well against Marquette and West Virginia. I think he'll be better this year if needed, but there's a good share of hope in that evaluation as well.

This mock draft update has Toppin late second round (53rd)

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/mock-drafts-big-boards/2024-nba-mock-draft-projections-during-combine-01hxzkwen21s

Toppin is reported to need to work on defense and has potential for first round draft status in 2025.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-draft-combine-10-players-who-helped-their-draft-stock-172423141.html