⚾️⚾️⚾️ NCAA Baseball Regionals Thread ⚾️⚾️⚾️

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hashtag said:

Personally, I don’t feel bad for him at all. Those were routine plays with easy throws. He should be shamed and ridiculed for costing us this game. Sorry if that’s too real for this board, you can delete if need be. 

Deep breaths my friend. Think of it as your own boy out there. It sucks for sure. He’s gotta make those plays. But he’s also a kid working his a$$ off for this program and has had an outstanding season. He just hit a granny on Friday for cripe’s sake.  Shamed and ridiculed…. come on man. 

Edited by ScottyB
  • Hook 'Em 3

As a lifetime Longhorn I am not proud of this but I eagerly watched the Texas softball team dominate at the World Series with a one-hit 10-0 victory yesterday/last evening. Sad to admit I didn't watch a single pitch of the Longhorns baseball game. Just had an overpowering expectation that the performance would be disappointing. I'm 71 and went to UT baseball games at the old Clark Field my Freshman year as a student and I cut class many times to go to games at the Disch in my remaining years of undergrad and graduate school.

42 minutes ago, Blake Munroe said:

Went back and rewatched a lot of it this morning. No doubt crucial errors cost Texas this game. They beat themselves, hands down. 

I’ve always said (and tell my oldest two) big time players make big time plays. Last night those plays were needed, but it didn’t happen. 

I feel terrible for them all, but you have to execute, especially on routine plays. And there was a clear lack of execution last night by multiple players. Not just one. 

I wonder what Augie would have said in that locker room last night after the game. 😳

Augie would’ve given the a “hug” with his words lol. I wonder what Gus would’ve said too? Back at it today, lots of opportunities to make up for errors. Should have lots of confidence actually IMO, they held ATM, number 3 in the country, to two runs through 10 2/3 and they needed a gift to get by us. We’re as good as them and we showed it. Win 2 today and let’s put the pressure on the Ags tomorrow!! Hook’em 🤘

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ScottyB said:

Deep breaths my friend. Think of it as your own boy out there. It sucks for sure. He’s gotta make those plays. But he’s also a kid working his a$$ off for this program and has had an outstanding season. He just hit a granny on Friday for cripe’s sake.  Shamed and ridiculed…. come on man. 

They aren’t kids anymore. They’re pro athletes.  You can’t have it both ways.  Expectations come with demands for money.

Edited by 40acres
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 40acres said:

They aren’t kids anymore. They’re pro athletes.  You can’t have it both ways.

This. Also Blake Gideon is still ridiculed and shamed still for his gaffe vs Tech in 2008. The days of these players being “kids” is over. NIL era out front shoulda told ya. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

This. Also Blake Gideon is still ridiculed and shamed still for his gaffe vs Tech in 2008. The days of these players being “kids” is over. NIL era out front shoulda told ya. 

But never to Blake’s face. Nor Jalin’s. If it makes you guys feel righteous and like a tough guy talking s-t about athletes on a message board, go right on ahead. Lulz 

Edited by ScottyB
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hashtag said:

Personally, I don’t feel bad for him at all. Those were routine plays with easy throws. He should be shamed and ridiculed for costing us this game. Sorry if that’s too real for this board, you can delete if need be. 

No, he shouldn’t be “shamed and ridiculed “. At all. Did he not make those plays? No he didn’t. We wouldn’t be here without him though. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, UTexas said:

No, he shouldn’t be “shamed and ridiculed “. At all. Did he not make those plays? No he didn’t. We wouldn’t be here without him though. 

He’s a good offensive player but he’s average at best defensively. One could make the argument for all of our infield, defensively at least. The fact that Porter Brown remains in the lineup is sad 

Edited by Hashtag

2 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

He’s a good offensive player but he’s average at best defensively. One could make the argument for all of our infield, defensively at least. 

This teams inconsistency directly related to this.  We don't have consistent pitching and defense to fall back on when the bats aren't hot.  It's a very average ball club.

2 minutes ago, 40acres said:

This teams inconsistency directly related to this.  We don't have consistent pitching and defense to fall back on when the bats aren't hot.  It's a very average ball club.

Then fire the coach because that falls on him. 

1 minute ago, Hashtag said:

Now that’s a whole other discussion ha! 

Who do you replace him with? Serious question. 

48 minutes ago, 40acres said:

They aren’t kids anymore. They’re pro athletes.  You can’t have it both ways.  Expectations come with demands for money.

Expectations, yes. Shame and ridicule, no. When you make a mistake at work are you shamed and ridiculed simply because you get paid to be there? I hope not. 

6 minutes ago, ScottyB said:

If we are omitting the obvious which are probably wishful thinking.   I'd take a look at the Southern Miss HC

43 minutes ago, ScottyB said:

But never to Blake’s face. Nor Jalin’s. If it makes you guys feel righteous and like a tough guy talking s-t about athletes on a message board, go right on ahead. Lulz 

Agree, right on and we’ll said @ScottyB!! Just because people think it’s ok to shame and ridicule Blake for his mistake in 2008 doesn’t mean it’s right or ok to do it to him or others!!
If we remember correctly the next play was an Earl Thomas mistake undercutting the route to Crabtree and Brown missing the tackle that allowed them to score and win the game. We win as a team and we lose as a team!! 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hashtag said:

I've been on DP since he arrived.  His recruiting is not good enough.  We've averaged 15-20 in recruiting rankings throughout his tenure.  People say our baseball NIL doesn't compete.  He's was a poor recruiter before NIL.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Alex Butler said:

Expectations, yes. Shame and ridicule, no. When you make a mistake at work are you shamed and ridiculed simply because you get paid to be there? I hope not. 

If I made a mistake like that at work I may not be shamed.  But I'd probably lose my accounts or job.  Some mistakes simply cannot be made.  The error last night was one of them.

He should not be shamed by his team or coach in public.  That I agree with.  

Social media is a whole other animal though.  People, CEO's, politicians.  Anyone in the public eye are routinely shamed on the internet.  My advice to those who are affected by it.  Stay off.  Because you aren't going to stop it.

Edited by 40acres

3 minutes ago, 40acres said:

I've been on DP since he arrived.  His recruiting is not good enough.  We've averaged 15-20 in recruiting rankings throughout his tenure.  People say our baseball NIL doesn't compete.  He's was a poor recruiter before NIL.

I have a hard time buying this one completely based on some of the badasses that have come through on his watch. I mean that Melendez guy was awful. 😆 Faltine, Ardoin, Hodo, Antico, Campbell, Kennedy, Madden, Hansen, Zubia, Cam….that’s just off the top of my head. 

I’ve especially loved the power bats he’s brought in. Really like his belief in recruiting mashers. And the defense has been stellar throughout most of his career here (probably most credit to Tulo there). 

HOWEVER…..the pitching situation has clearly become an issue. The firing of Woody just didn’t make any sense to me. Maybe I’ve just missed it but does anyone know what the hell happened there? The guy was nails at San Jac forever but then comes here and forgets how to coach? Was he running hookers and coke or something? Alcohol? I’m kidding…sorta. Seemed like it had to have been something bizarre because none of that made any sense to me. 

I’m actually conflicted on Pierce. I really like the guy and a lot of what he does and of course has done here. But this pitching fiasco doesn’t  add up to me at all. And if he sticks around seems to me they gotta make him bring in a legit pitching coach. Or we’re about to get smoked in the SEC. 

9 minutes ago, ScottyB said:

I have a hard time buying this one completely based on some of the badasses that have come through on his watch. I mean that Melendez guy was awful. 😆 Faltine, Ardoin, Hodo, Antico, Campbell, Kennedy, Madden, Hansen, Zubia, Cam….that’s just off the top of my head. 

I’ve especially loved the power bats he’s brought in. Really like his belief in recruiting mashers. And the defense has been stellar throughout most of his career here (probably most credit to Tulo there). 

HOWEVER…..the pitching situation has clearly become an issue. The firing of Woody just didn’t make any sense to me. Maybe I’ve just missed it but does anyone know what the hell happened there? The guy was nails at San Jac forever but then comes here and forgets how to coach? Was he running hookers and coke or something? Alcohol? I’m kidding…sorta. Seemed like it had to have been something bizarre because none of that made any sense to me. 

I’m actually conflicted on Pierce. I really like the guy and a lot of what he does and of course has done here. But this pitching fiasco doesn’t  add up to me at all. And if he sticks around seems to me they gotta make him bring in a legit pitching coach. Or we’re about to get smoked in the SEC. 

Look at the rankings.  Look at who has won the CWS.  The teams that win consistently rank in the top 10 of recruiting.  

College Recruit Rankings Class of 2024 | Perfect Game USA

15 minutes ago, 40acres said:

If I made a mistake like that at work I may not be shamed.  But I'd probably lose my accounts or job.  Some mistakes simply cannot be made.  The error last night was one of them.

Social media is a whole other animal though.  People, CEO's, politicians.  Anyone in the public eye are routinely shamed on the internet.  My advice to those who are affected by it.  Stay off.  Because you aren't going to stop it.

I don’t disagree with the spirit of this whatsoever. I 100% get it. The repeating errors in that situation and stage are certainly inexcusable for sure. I’m betting Jalin would be the first to say it. Hell I wanted to break my tv in half last night watching it. 

But the kid oozes talent and has big league potential. And above all he’s wearing that T on his cap. And he wants it more than any of us for damn sure. So no matter how mad I get I just always try to remember that. 

That said with the times we’re in, the public criticism is going to come. Fans are gonna be fans. And most of them are gutless dorks that have never competed for anything significant  in their entire lives. So it shouldn’t bother me. But it still does. I wish they’d go chirp that weak s—t to these guys’ faces. But of course that’ll happen the same day Margot Robbie professes her undying love for me. 😂

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, 40acres said:

I hope you wouldn’t be fired and would be given a chance to redeem yourself especially if you’re value exceeds that mistake (which I hope it would). I agree about the social media etc, we all knows that it goes on and that is part of being a public figure in today’s world you’re correct there. What I am speaking about specifically is advocating on here that he should be shamed and ridiculed. That in unacceptable in my opinion especially as fans of a team and school. Errors happen, let’s hope that he come back and redeems himself in the two wins we need today!

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, 40acres said:

Look at the rankings.  Look at who has won the CWS.  The teams that win consistently rank in the top 10 of recruiting.  

College Recruit Rankings Class of 2024 | Perfect Game USA

I won’t ever argue against Texas not being in the top 10 in recruiting baseball players. Just like football, it should never happen. I’m with you here man. 

I suppose DP should then be taking a ton of credit for developing a lot of those classes he’s gotten. But…but….(Rod Babers but rant here)…..the pitching has ABSOLUTELY gotta be better. Or Pierce has to go. It just cannot continue like it has this past season or we’ll get buried in this new league. BURIED. 

Just such an odd position with Pierce. 3 Big 12 titles, 3 CWS appearances with one runner up finish. Most schools would offer lifetime contracts ha! But this is Texas. And with this pitching fiasco I’m about at the belief that he’s maxed himself out here. 

Odd position for the decision makers too I suppose. But I don’t think he’s fired this year. He’ll get a year in the SEC and if he faceplants then of course I think that makes it easier, optics are better for the admin etc. And we all know too well how the UT admin loves their optics. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, ScottyB said:

I won’t ever argue against Texas not being in the top 10 in recruiting baseball players. Just like football, it should never happen. I’m with you here man. 

I suppose DP should then be taking a ton of credit for developing a lot of those classes he’s gotten. But…but….(Rod Babers but rant here)…..the pitching has ABSOLUTELY gotta be better. Or Pierce has to go. It just cannot continue like it has this past season or we’ll get buried in this new league. BURIED. 

Just such an odd position with Pierce. 3 Big 12 titles, 3 CWS appearances with one runner up finish. Most schools would offer lifetime contracts ha! But this is Texas. And with this pitching fiasco I’m about at the belief that he’s maxed himself out here. 

Odd position for the decision makers too I suppose. But I don’t think he’s fired this year. He’ll get a year in the SEC and if he faceplants then of course I think that makes it easier, optics are better for the admin etc. And we all know too well how the UT admin loves their optics. 

Agree.  CDC hasn't fired anyone mid contract and I don't expect him to this year either.  I think he's let's DP finish it out.  

19 minutes ago, 40acres said:

Agree.  CDC hasn't fired anyone mid contract and I don't expect him to this year either.  I think he's let's DP finish it out.  

Tom Herman was fired "mid contract"

If you don't extend him or release him after this season then you are ABSOLUTELY cooked on the recruiting trail. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, ScottyB said:

I made you guys a list while back on coaches Texas should go after. Realistic list. Not “we’re getting Jay Johnson!!!!!” Type list. 

Let me see if I can find it. 

• Hook 'Em 3