Zion Williams update

38 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

A lot of pressure on Texas ... 

Sharma, Charles, Wynn and keeping Brandon Brown. 

Got to win 2 of 4 ... hit 50% on national DL recruitments. 

How would you rank order this by possibility to obtain/retain?

Charles

Brown

Wynn

Sharma

???

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Losing Bo was huge if people here want to admit it or not. Dudes track record for developing DT’s is second to none. 

Absolutely agree. Plus I’ll always appreciate Bo’s outburst at Iowa State. It was the end of the past culture and the beginning of the current culture. It sucks competing against him in an area of need, but I’ll always respect him for that and our DT development. 

It sucks losing out on Zion but recruiting isn’t over yet. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Avishai Schiff said:

Do I have this right?  Bo's recruiting at UT was meh.  Now him leaving for LSU may have cost us Dom McKinley and Robinson last year (Robinson was shaky regardless) and potentially Zion and Brown this year. 

That's one hell of a series of gut punches.

It also shows that he was recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Adam Lane said:

How would you rank order this by possibility to obtain/retain?

Charles

Brown

Wynn

Sharma

???

Think they are all about the same … Texas has legit shot at all four … what happens in Tally this weekend will be huge for Texas ie … Wynn, Charles and EDGE Hilson 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jonesyfam7 said:

Interesting that Bo Davis finally decides to recruit well after the wheels are in motion for him to leave Austin.

I’m different… I think that’s inaccurate 

For some reason the guy became enemy #1 by Texas fans 

If DT recruiting was all his fault … why aren’t Jay Toia and Dominick Williams at Texas right now?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

McDavid is a HOF’er … so yep lol 

Best fans in pro sports IMO - Edmonton. Special fan base

Interesting Wayne Gretzky story, a reporter deemed Wayne at ten years old ‘The Great One’.  Wayne hated being called that, he just wanted to have fun playing hockey.  Wayne wanted to be a baseball player (played short stop and pitcher, his second love) if he wasn’t a hockey player.

2 hours ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Losing Bo was huge if people here want to admit it or not. Dudes track record for developing DT’s is second to none. 

When you replace him with a completely unknown at this level it absolutely is. Bo wasn’t an elite recruiter while at Texas but his relationships in the state and area combined with his development results, he was going to land some guys. Kenny Baker has little to nothing to hang his hat on in comparison to the DL coaches he’s going up against, Joyner, Bo Davis, Todd Bates, Freddie Roach, good luck going head to head with those guys. 

Edited by TexasLonghorns

36 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

If DT recruiting was all his fault … why aren’t Jay Toia and Dominick Williams at Texas right now?

Than what’s the issue? 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

B/c Baker can't recruit either... Fire everybody!!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I can't speak for the rest of the fan base, but Bo Davis is not my enemy number 1.  I think Bo Davis is a great Coach and a really great developer..........but an average to above average recruiter.

I don't think he was a plus or even good recruiter at Texas.  

2024 - We are lucky that January was a legacy or else he probably heads elsewhere.  Hills - a developmental take.  Then Robinson - a guy you stated for months that you didn't expect to end up in the class (before Davis even announced he was leaving).

2023 - Only take is Sydir Mitchell.  Up to this point, based on everything that has been reported from his almost transferring, to him showing up out of shape, and overweight again.....he doesn't seem to be a kid interested in maximizing.

2022 - Bledsoe, Ross, Bryant, and Swanson.  

Swanson - never contributed - transferred

Ross - never contributed - kicked off the team

Bryant - hasn't contributed - developmental take

Bledsoe - hasn't contributed - developmental take

Bo Davis has had 3 classes and so far......none of them has produced a single contributor.  Bryant might contribute 10-15 snaps a game this year....Bledsoe might contribute some snaps this year, but this is also the position that Sark was so underwhelmed with what was on campus that we added 3 different portal DT's.  

I don't really understand what singling out Toia and Williams proves.......if we want to list out the number of guys Bo Davis has missed on or those that haven't given him the time of day.....the list is a lot longer than two portal DT's that chose to go elsewhere. 

I just don't see how someone can look at the recruits that Bo Davis brought in, that none of them have turned into contributors, and say he recruited "well" at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

If Bo recruited worth a damn in his three seasons at Texas, we wouldn’t have needed to pursue Jay Toia or Damonic Williams.

Here are the DL Texas landed under three full seasons of Bo Davis’ recruiting at Texas:

2022:  J.Finkley, K.Ross, A.Bryant, J.Bledsoe, Z.Swanson

2023:  S.Mitchell, T.Carter (portal)

2024:  A.January (a Texas legacy), and M.Hills

That’s it.  An atrocious recruiting track record over a full three year cycle.  Just for comparison, the school 100 miles to the east landed five 5-star DL and another 3 national top 100 DL over the same 3-year period.

The whole “Bo Davis is a great developer” is equally laughable.  Coburn and Ojomo spent most of the their career time at Texas under a different DL coach than Bo Davis, and B.Murphy was an NFL DT the instant he stepped on campus.  I’ll give Davis credit for pushing Sweat to finally realize his God-given talent in his fifth season, but I’ll also counter with Bo’s complete inability to get anything out of highly regarded recruits like A.Collins, V.Broughton, and J.Bledsoe.

Bo Davis’ career reputation is purely a function of right place, right time.  He worked for Saban at LSU, then again for Saban at Bama (twice).  Exactly how difficult is it to recruit highly regarded DL prospects and “develop” those studs into NFL players when you’re part of peak Saban machine at Bama?  Did Bama’s DL recruiting and development suffer after Bo left for Texas (2011-2013), or for the NFL (2016-2020)?  Answer:  not in the slightest.  Bama landed more 5-star DL and produced more NFL DL over those years than any other school in college football without Bo.

And how did Bo Davis recruit and develop DL talent in his first three year stint at Texas under Mack Brown (2011-13)?  He signed 4 DL:  Alex Norman, Paul Boyette, Shiro Davis, and H.Ridgeway.  That’s it.  One single DL who panned out and contributed in three recruiting classes.

So, predictably, Bo Davis leaves Texas again after all the DL talent he inherited (Sweat, Murphy, Coburn, Ojomo, etc) are out of eligibility at Texas.  And he leaves the cupboard so bare that Texas has had to recruit 3 DL out of the portal since we walked off the Sugar Bowl field in our last game.  THREE!  It’s not at all a surprise to me that Davis and Texas parted ways after the 2023 season, you can only avoid the Peter Principle for so long.

Edited by Glass Joe
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, AceHorn23 said:

It also shows that he was recruiting. 

He’s never been a recruiter. Stop it. The transition year is always the hardest one because relationships were already built. He also takes 3-4 years for a player to surface. You can be overrated while being a good coach. 

You guys do realize that the recruiting aspect is not always down to the position coach right? Texas is just now entering the SEC & has been mired by mediocrity for over 10 years. Nobody walks into that situation & recruits at a high level instantly in his first year, especially with that record on the field.

Then he beat out a high level charge from Georgia for Sydir, which at the time was lauded as a coup for Bo to keep him in the fold. He hasn’t lived up to it yet, & it doesn’t always click right away, but the talent was huge. 

Now with this class, Robinson would have been a great get for us if he didn’t bolt & had Brown committed to us, plus Zion Williams leaning us before he bolted in the 24 class. So the whole narrative he couldn’t recruit here is far too overblown. He missed on some guys but had a lot working against him early.

Also, the development piece is clear as day. He developed Koburn & Ojomo into better pros than they were before. Sweat of course & Murphy was not an NFL lock before Bo. He was always a dog but he has talked multiple times about how Bo’s influence made him as good as he became.

You can list the facts all you want, but without proper context it’s not very relevant. Bo wasn’t perfect & could have recruited better, but to say he wasn’t a good recruiter doesn’t paint the full picture.

21 minutes ago, goattalk100 said:

You guys do realize that the recruiting aspect is not always down to the position coach right? Texas is just now entering the SEC & has been mired by mediocrity for over 10 years. Nobody walks into that situation & recruits at a high level instantly in his first year, especially with that record on the field.

Then he beat out a high level charge from Georgia for Sydir, which at the time was lauded as a coup for Bo to keep him in the fold. He hasn’t lived up to it yet, & it doesn’t always click right away, but the talent was huge. 

Now with this class, Robinson would have been a great get for us if he didn’t bolt & had Brown committed to us, plus Zion Williams leaning us before he bolted in the 24 class. So the whole narrative he couldn’t recruit here is far too overblown. He missed on some guys but had a lot working against him early.

Also, the development piece is clear as day. He developed Koburn & Ojomo into better pros than they were before. Sweat of course & Murphy was not an NFL lock before Bo. He was always a dog but he has talked multiple times about how Bo’s influence made him as good as he became.

You can list the facts all you want, but without proper context it’s not very relevant. Bo wasn’t perfect & could have recruited better, but to say he wasn’t a good recruiter doesn’t paint the full picture.

Bo Davis was the DL coach at Texas for six seasons (2011-2013, and again from 2021-2023).  How many players did he recruit that “developed” into NFL players in those six seasons?  

Answer:  Just one.  H.Ridgeway.

I guess it takes more than six seasons to make an impact?