Drew Bishop Returns To Texas Baseball (Sun 2:50 PM)

• Moderators

Been sitting on this for a few days now, but I can finally announce that Drew Bishop is returning to Texas baseball. 

He originally played for the Longhorns under then head coach Augie Garrido, before transitioning to the “Director of Baseball Ops” role for 13 years. 

Bishop then served as the Director of Scouting for Five Tool since 2021. 

“Really excited to be back home and get to work with the new staff and on the road to Omaha,” Bishop told On Texas Football. 

He will return to his old role with the Longhorns. 

• Hook 'Em 20

• Moderators

Everyone loves Drew. He knows the state of Texas, and more specifically the recruiting within Texas and the other big baseball states, really really well. Very respected. 

Being a part of Five Tool is huge. Them and Perfect Game are the two biggest baseball organizations out there. 

• Hook 'Em 11

3 hours ago, CoachBobbyFinstock said:

Why is this such a big hire?

If you can’t access the tweet here is the complete text:

A bittersweet day for me and @FiveTool: five-tool person, coworker and friend Drew Bishop is returning to @TexasBaseball. Immediately, he becomes the best DOPS in the country. Sure, I'm biased. But I genuinely believe it. 

There isn't anything Drew can't do. He's the perfect person for that role and not just because he's done it extremely well for 13 years already. He knows everyone. More importantly, he's respected by everyone. That's not an accident. No one loves Texas more and represents what it stands for better than Drew. He knows what Texas Baseball looks like, sounds like, acts like and how it operates when it's TEXAS BASEBALL. 

This exciting era of college baseball has led to a major increase in the financial commitment to high-major D1 programs. Bigger staffs. More money. More interest. More player movement. It has also led to an increased need for the brightest and best to serve as extremely versatile staff members capable of adjusting on the fly to fill a multitude of roles and staying at the forefront of the rapidly changing game and industry. And it needs winners who do it the right way in all areas. That's Drew. #HookEm baseball is a better program today. 

To put his work ethic into perspective, he had already taken the job and was still grinding away at the Z-Plex scheduling, talking to coaches and running some of our biggest tournaments while knowing his list to-do list to move back to Austin - are we gonna be neighbors now?! - was endless. I don't know many people, if any at all, who put others ahead of themselves more than Drew.

While it is tempting, I won't Venmo @CoachSchloss and demand financial retribution for hiring away my @FiveToolPod co-host (the pod will continue... it'll just sound different, obviously) and our Scouting Director. But someone does owe me at least one large Bob.

As for Five Tool, we're having a TREMENDOUS summer. The future couldn't be brighter. Between our scout days, tournaments, showcases, unique and best-in-industry website, spring and fall coverage and more, we're experiencing an especially awesome season of growth. Our arrow is neon green an pointing up. But will we miss Drew? Hell yeah we will. He helped get us here. Eventually, I'll quit sulking because sometimes you gotta go back home and chase national titles.

Edited by marathon
  • Hook 'Em 12

4 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

Been sitting on this for a few days now, but I can finally announce that Drew Bishop is returning to Texas baseball. 

He originally played for the Longhorns under then head coach Augie Garrick, before transitioning to the “Director of Baseball Ops” role for 13 years. 

Bishop then served as the Director of Scouting for Five Tool since 2021. 

“Really excited to be back home and get to work with the new staff and on the road to Omaha,” Bishop told On Texas Football. 

He will return to his old role with the Longhorns. 

Augie Garrick is one of my all-time favorite UT coaches!  😉🤣😂🤣🤘