Football depth chart discussion

With the angst over recruiting, it's seemingly lost on some people that we have a pretty good football team, and that is more important than anything else.  I wanted to take a look at our depth chart and areas of strength / weaknesses.. in particular what would happen if we were to somehow lose a player to injury.  For this, I'll use a 1-10 scale with 10 being best, considering starter quality and amount of drop off with the backups.

QB - 9.   Though I can't think of another QB room in the country that has a better 1-2 punch, we would miss Quinn's experience if Arch had to step in.  That said, Arch has arguably more upside than Quinn and I'm pretty sure we would feel pretty good about him starting any game with perhaps the exception of UM and UGA.

RB - 7.  We have great depth.  However, if CJ Baxter were to miss time, who would fill the role of the big bruising between the tackles runner?  This is a big concern, as we would likely need to rely on a freshman for major carries.  If Blue were to miss time, I'd feel good with Wisner for sure.  

WR - 7.  Again, fantastic depth.  Concern is more due to how all these new guys play together and mesh with Quinn, moreso than any one player can't be replaced.  Frankly it's hard to even figure out who will be the starting 3 on day 1.. could conceivably be any combo of Bond, Cook, Moore, Wingo, Bolden, and Golden.  

TE - 7.  Love the tandem of Niblack and Helm.. but is Juan Davis or the young pup Washington ready for big minutes?  

T - 8.  Banks and Williams both have 1st round potential.  If something were to happen, you can fill in with Hayden Conner or promote Goosby.  Have a super freshman Baker.  Lots of options, but some of the younger depth could be exposed in communications against a shifting D front.

G -8.  With Conner/Umeozulu being flipable, you have built in depth.  Campbell and Hutson... plus a more experienced Stroh and a better than expected Kibble?  Again main concern would be communication with any injury.

C - 8. Majors is set, we've seen Robertson come in at emergency C in the RRR.  I feel good that he can fill in most games with minimal to no drop off.

DE - 9.  Crazy that this would have been a 2 around 3 years ago.  Burke, Finkley, Vaskey, Sorrell, Moore, and superfreshman Simmons?  Wow.

DT - 6.  Maybe it's unfair, as perhaps since the ceiling is lower than last year, the dropoff is much less.  Question marks all over.  Can Collins make the most out of his contract year, can Broughton be better against the run, how solid are Norton and Savea at the NT position?, can Lole stay healthy?, Bledsoe and Bryant progressing?, Sydir's actually fullfilling his potential?   If most of these are positive then this could be a much higher confidence number.

LB - 6.  What happens if Hill is out for any time?  Most irreplaceable player on team?  Gbenda and Blackwell are good players, but what can we expect in Lefau's first year of increased minutes?  Can Gullette contribute with his supreme athleticism?

CB - 5.  I think we feel decent with Muhammad and either Holmes or Cole, but after that?  Mumammad may be the other most irreplaceable player on the team.  I don't see Black as being ready this year for huge minutes.  Same with Mack.. can Roberson take a big step?  Can Wilson come in as a true FR with no spring camp ala Derek Williams last year?

Nickel - 8.  Love Barron.  Have lots of faith in Guilbeau as the backup.  Who's the 3rd backup?

S - 5.  Mukuba and Williams and.... ??   Taaffe is old reliable but isn't a difference maker.  Can McDonald play big minutes this year?  Can Filsaime make a big jump in summer practices?  

P - 2.  I'm not even sure about Kern, much less who is behind Kern..  ? Ratliff is it

K - 6.  Hard to be concerned about kicker depth, but I have no idea what to expect from Will Stone if Auburn can't kick.

PR - 9.  I could see many guys play here.. Bolden seems most logical starter.. then Cook perhaps?

KR - 9.  Again, lots of options.. Golden is the obvious #1.. Blue could go beside him but hopefully not given his importance to the RB room. Nibblet anyone?  

Overall this is a very deep and talented team.  Let's celebrate that and take our minds off of recruiting Ls of late.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Doc Strangemood said:

But expecting five to return.  

True. But it could be a pleasant surprise with development of Bryant, Bledsoe, Mitchell, January and Mills or a disaster if a few don’t develop. I feel that Bryant will be solid, Bledsoe is a wild card, Mitchell is leaning negative, January has huge potential, and Mills will be a good developmental prospect. Hopefully we can add sanders as another low floor high ceiling guy and then some more portal players to this depth. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

True. But it could be a pleasant surprise with development of Bryant, Bledsoe, Mitchell, January and Mills or a disaster if a few don’t develop. I feel that Bryant will be solid, Bledsoe is a wild card, Mitchell is leaning negative, January has huge potential, and Mills will be a good developmental prospect. Hopefully we can add sanders as another low floor high ceiling guy and then some more portal players to this depth. 

I hope to get production out of three of them and a couple of transfers.  Don't think it will be a disaster if a few of the returning players don't develop.  Have to be prepared for it.  Hopefully, they can wrangle a couple of freshmen to add depth.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is how I grew up (my father was a Marine who served three tours in Vietnam), and this is what we gotta have if we want to the national championship. If recruits don't like it, send them Michigan.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

What happens if Hill is out for any time?  Most irreplaceable player on team? 

Him or Banks.  But a lot of that is because we've seen nothing out of Goosby or Lefau yet. 

I could also make an argument for Muhammad, depending on what we get with Cole. 

• Hook 'Em 2