Longhorn Defense

Where would you rank PK among active DC in college football?  Also I read in some article where they were saying Michigan ran a more NFL type scheme vs what Texas through at Penix causing him trouble any truth to that?  Are our pass defensive problems schematic or talent or both?  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Cgo_horns said:

Where would you rank PK among active DC in college football?  Also I read in some article where they were saying Michigan ran a more NFL type scheme vs what Texas through at Penix causing him trouble any truth to that?  Are our pass defensive problems schematic or talent or both?  

The difference in pass rush between Texas and Michigan was there for all to see.

PK needs more difference makers on D, especially pass rushers.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Cgo_horns said:

Michigan was much more complex. They did great job containing Washington in the 1st half with limited pressure. I think Penix held the ball a little longer and was not as confident in his reads vs Michigan compared to Texas. I think PK is a solid DC. Not sure he is a star, but definitely a solid DC. I have always wondered how well he and Terry Joseph work together.. That is not a dig on either coach, but sometimes a paring of coaches makes both better and vice versa

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, codaxx said:

Michigan was much more complex. They did great job containing Washington in the 1st half with limited pressure. I think Penix held the ball a little longer and was not as confident in his reads vs Michigan compared to Texas. I think PK is a solid DC. Not sure he is a star, but definitely a solid DC. I have always wondered how well he and Terry Joseph work together.. That is not a dig on either coach, but sometimes a paring of coaches makes both better and vice versa

I think you hit on something significant, the front and back of the defense being in tune with one another.

I can't say I saw that until the final two games of the regular season and the Big 12 championship game.

Just now, Bobby Burton said:

I think you hit on something significant, the front and back of the defense being in tune with one another.

I can't say I saw that until the final two games of the regular season and the Big 12 championship game.

I wonder if Nansen is going to turn out to be a bigger hire, than we think. Arizona was doing some very creative stuff on defense, especially in the bowl game. PK seems like the type of guy that enjoys collaborating on his ideas. 

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, codaxx said:

I wonder if Nansen is going to turn out to be a bigger hire, than we think. Arizona was doing some very creative stuff on defense, especially in the bowl game. PK seems like the type of guy that enjoys collaborating on his ideas. 

He seems to be a VERY active recruiter as well. I don't think he's just going to be going after LBs based on his activity thus far.

• Hook 'Em 1