Bell or Lacy

On 7/24/2024 at 9:57 PM, Derek Handler said:

Trey Owens was pretty impressive in the Spring game.  I don't see lacy beating him out.  But, alot can happen in 3 years...

Agree!  Don’t underestimate Trey Owens.  He is going to be a good one!!!

12 hours ago, Jc Dobbs said:

Realizing my comment is unfair... Lacey just looks far too small. I know he's got time to develop, but he appears borderline frail. It just shows how much credit Sark gets for identifying these players so early.

Your post got me curious,  so I looked up Lacy's measurables and showed 6'0" 175 which is smaller than I thought.  

But,  while looking up Lacy I found Trey Owens listed at 6'5" 220 which is bigger than I thought.  Put me in the I think Owens will start at UT in the future group.  

Edited by GDI

Appreciate Sark and Milwee bringing in 3 excellent QBs. Ewers, Manning and Owens combine to give TX the best QB room I can recall.

While Arch is eligible to come back in 2027,  I expect Arch to be off to the NFL. If Arch is gone and Owens is here in 2027, I believe Trey Owens will start. If Owens isn't the starter for whatever reason, I believe Dia Bell will be the starter over KJ Lacey.

I 100% supported the TX offers for the Saraland, Alabama duo of KJ Lacey QB and Ryan Williams WR. But once speedy Williams reclassified and committed to his home state school and Lacey took visits I thought we should have offered Keelon Russell QB. Believe Sark was close to doing so but Lacey and Sark/Milwee had discussions and renewed their commitment. Sark seems trustworthy and loyal.  I admire and appreciate those honorable qualities. Might have helped in some small ways to land Dia Bell.

I personally doubt Lacey starts over Owens or Dia Bell. I like Lacey and his potential to develop at Texas but I believe the 1 yr development of Bell and his elite upside make him a favorite to win the job vs Lacey. Underrated Owens has a head start on Lacey so I doubt Lacey jumps Owens if he stays loyal and waits for his opportunity as a rJr. But injuries, portal and the unexpected happen so we could have Lacey QB leading TX at some point.

Would be wild and unprecedented to have a run of 5 TX QBs off to the NFL....Ewers in 2025, Arch in 2026 or 2027, Owens in 2027 or 2028, Lacey in 2028 or 2029 and Bell in 2029 or 2030. More likely one of the 3 QBs (Owens, Lacey or Bell) transfers like Malik Murphy did in order to start his college playing career.

No matter how it all works out, I'm feel confident TX will have a good starting QB over the next 5 seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:55 PM, horns96 said:

I'm eager to hear Gerry's responses, but I have to laugh after the going through 13 years with no depth at QB and sometimes barely a viable starter.

That was part of Charlie Strong’s dilemma as bad as Mack was at recruiting offensive linemen he was just as bad at QB.  Brown left Charlie Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard.  David Ash was injured. And he had to depend on a freshman the year he was let go.  By the time, Herman brought in Sam, we were so hungry for an elite QB that we attached mythical powers to Ehlinger who was 27-16 as a starter and 1-4 against OU.  Just a side note, Ewers has not yet been elevated to Sam’s level in the mind of most fans, which is interesting. Another side note, not sure fans are as crazy for Ewers as they were for Charlie Thompson.  

• Moderators
On 7/24/2024 at 8:49 PM, Zacharyhorn said:

I have a two part question that I was hoping that Gerry, Bobby or CJ could discuss.  Either on Coffee & Football or in this tread if they are able.   Anyone else for that matter who cares to provide their thoughts and insight would be welcomed.

After listening to Gerry & CJ on the recruiting breakdown yesterday, it got me thinking about our quarterback of the future. Quinn will be gone after the 2024 season.  We all assume that Arch will be the starter for 2025 & 2026 season.  What about 2027?  I say 2027 because neither of Arch’s uncles declared early for the draft.  Both stayed to finish out their eligibility I believe.  Unlike Quinn who skipped his senior year to start his NFL clock early, Arch seems to want to enjoy his college experience and playing college football.  With that being the case, how far out is it that Arch may stay for four or even five years? Technically, he redshirted last year.  So that would mean he is entering the 2024 season as a redshirt freshman.  Now, if UT goes on a wins a national championship in either 2024 or 2025, he would not really have a reason to return.  However, depending on the talent around him, do you think Arch may use all his eligibility?  I know most guys would bolt for NFL money, but the Mannings are on a different timeline than most people.

Which brings me to my second question.  Who out of Bell or Lacy would be the next man up?  Not discounting Trey Owens as he is currently on campus.  But out of Lacy and Bell, who is more talented to run Sarks offense?  Who is more likely to still be around in 2027?  Dia Bell has only been committed for a short period of time, but he strikes me as someone who may be willing to be a bit more patient than Lacy.  I only say this because Lacy was looking around after he committed to UT.  I know he has firmed up his commitment recently, but if Arch was to stay until 2027, would Lacy be willing to wait that long to take over.  I would say no, but just curious what everyone else thinks.  

On Arch ... at least a two year starter. Potentially three, agree. The history of the Manning family is telling. Now, if Texas is a playoff team each of his two seasons, Arch will have the ability to start 25 games+ in two years. That wasn't possible for Peyton or Eli after two years. 25 starts is a water mark type of number for the intelligent QB families. 

Bell has the time frame on his side IMO. 

Trey Owens: 
2024-25 redshirt
2025-26 No. 2
2026-27 No. 2
2027-28 likely starter (if he stays)

KJ Lacey:
2025-26 redshirt
2026-27 No. 3
2027-28 No. 2 (if he stays assuming Owens gets the nod)

Dia Bell:
2026-27 redshirt
2027-28 No. 3
2028-29 starter

• Thanks 1