D.J. Sanders Update: Saturday 11:50 AM CST

• Moderators

OnTexasFootball does have Thursday, August 8 as the date we expect Bellville (Texas) High defensive lineman D.J. Sanders to announce his decision. 

This is not expected to be a press conference, hats on the table type announcement. It's will likely be a social media commitment. 

Texas and Michigan considered the top two from one source. But OTF isn't ready to say Texas A&M can't win this one too. It's a wildcard recruitment. 

Sanders and his family have been in constant communication with Sarkisian, Kenny Baker and area recruiter Blake Gideon. 

• Hook 'Em 35
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Sanders junior HUDL:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2N0GE9

no doubt he has some abilities...I agree with you that he has POTENTIAL...tremendous athlete, but he ain't there as a DT quite yet...will be interesting to see his senior campaign if he chooses Texas.

For sure we've recruited DTs with not nearly his potential.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the update Gerry.  Watching his huddle DJ seems like a really good athlete with lots of upside.  I am curious why you think he will need a year or two before contributing.  He moves really well for a 300 pound Jr in HS.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Greg Hovre said:

Thanks for the update Gerry.  Watching his huddle DJ seems like a really good athlete with lots of upside.  I am curious why you think he will need a year or two before contributing.  He moves really well for a 300 pound Jr in HS.

Plays on his toes too much right now. Can't hold up physically against SEC level OL's playing on one's toes that much. So have to break that down and build it up, along with consistency with hand placement. Also may need a little more time physically vs. a Sharma type frame. Upside is there, but just needs time. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Thanks 2

One of the biggest recruitments for Texas in this cycle.  Must get by December signing day.  Even if Texas still ends up with a top 5 class with only 1 or 2 HS DL, it will feel like a “fast food” type of class and not a healthy nutritious meal type of class without the quality HS DL recruits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

@Gerry Hamilton  Is DJ an early enrollee? When do you believe DJ could contribute and/or start in the SEC? We likely lose at least 5 IDL after this season. Thx!

Believe DJ had a cousin at Baylor and took a visit there. Baylor is out? Seemed A&M was the leader this past winter. I'm with you Gerry, A&M could still win this. Heard he has an uncle in the Michigan area.  Hoping DJ hates the cold and views Michigan less favorably since their HC, DC and S&C coach all left the program. Texas seemingly  made up ground this summer. 

I've seen DJ listed at 6-3 315 and 6-4 325. First team all district in football and basketball. Has good feet. 57' Shot Put in 11th grade. DISRUPTIVE Jr highlights. I like his BGO, push and plays in the backfield. Could benefit from playing with lower pad level like most young IDL. Like his strip fumble recoveries and returns. Runs well for a big. Doesn’t have the heaviest lower base and low center of gravity like NTs often do. But he has considerable power in his thighs and hips.

Believe he's a great prospect. Hope we get him.

• Moderators
On 8/3/2024 at 1:21 PM, Jerky said:

@Gerry Hamilton  Is DJ an early enrollee? When do you believe DJ could contribute and/or start in the SEC? We likely lose at least 5 IDL after this season. Thx!

Believe DJ had a cousin at Baylor and took a visit there. Baylor is out? Seemed A&M was the leader this past winter. I'm with you Gerry, A&M could still win this. Heard he has an uncle in the Michigan area.  Hoping DJ hates the cold and views Michigan less favorably since their HC, DC and S&C coach all left the program. Texas seemingly  made up ground this summer. 

I've seen DJ listed at 6-3 315 and 6-4 325. First team all district in football and basketball. Has good feet. 57' Shot Put in 11th grade. DISRUPTIVE Jr highlights. I like his BGO, push and plays in the backfield. Could benefit from playing with lower pad level like most young IDL. Like his strip fumble recoveries and returns. Runs well for a big. Doesn’t have the heaviest lower base and low center of gravity like NTs often do. But he has considerable power in his thighs and hips.

Believe he's a great prospect. Hope we get him.

I think DJ can be an early enrollee if he chooses. 

Just me, but think he needs some time to develop technically and physically. He plays on his toes too much right now. He can get away with that at small school Texas football level because he's bigger, quick enough and has very good arm length to win. He can't play on his toes that much long term and maximize his ability. He needs some time physically too.

His upside is there, but think he will need developmental time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/3/2024 at 1:29 PM, qaertyisthatdude said:

One of the biggest recruitments for Texas in this cycle.  Must get by December signing day.  Even if Texas still ends up with a top 5 class with only 1 or 2 HS DL, it will feel like a “fast food” type of class and not a healthy nutritious meal type of class without the quality HS DL recruits.

Where’s the beef!!

On 8/4/2024 at 1:56 PM, Gerry Hamilton said:

I think DJ can be an early enrollee if he chooses. 

Just me, but think he needs some time to develop technically and physically. He plays on his toes too much right now. He can get away with that at small school Texas football level because he's bigger, quick enough and has very good arm length to win. He can't play on his toes that much long term and maximize his ability. He needs some time physically too.

His upside is there, but think he will need developmental time. 

@Gerry Hamilton Gerry, thank you for answering my early enrollee question.

You were early and absolutely correct on Washington TE. Many had him lower ranked and viewed as a tweener that is maybe more of basketball player than inline TE.  Washington TE is not a tweener. He has added good weight to his good frame and transformed his body.  Washington TE should have been ranked and rated higher by the recruiting industry. You may end up also being right on DJ Sanders. I am higher on DJ than you. No biggie. Very much appreciate you calling it like you see it.

Michigan Recruiting guy EJHolland On3 at first stated Michigan needed him to take more time on the decision. Implying good for us.

Then he did a 360 and said his source that is never wrong on DL , said not so fast. Their DL Coach Esposito might have some magic ha! We will see Kenny Baker on the clock , let's hope🤘