Saturday Scrimmage Notes (UPDATED Saturday 4:05 PM)

• Moderators

@Gerry Hamilton has already posted one set of scrimmage notes that you can find here, but I spoke with another source to get some information as well. 

Here’s what I learned: 

- Defense was the name of the game today. They were impressive from the get go and didn’t let up at all. 

- One thing they did a lot was bring pressure and show different looks to try and catch the offense off guard. 

- The defense forced multiple turnovers today.

- We have some conflicting reports, but I was told Andrew Mukuba intercepted Quinn Ewers and Jelani McDonald intercepted Arch Manning. Obviously this is slightly different than what Gerry heard (Mukuba picking off Manning), but we do know Mukuba definitely had a pick.

- I was told a cornerback also forced a fumble, but unfortunately the source didn’t get the name of the player. (Edit: @CJ Vogel has confirmed Jahdae Barron caused the fumble while playing CB.)

- The linebackers were “very solid.”

- On offense, I’m told the running backs were “okay”

- Jaydon Blue, Christian Clark, Jerrick Gibson and Tre Wisner all got work with the first team.

- Derrion Gullette ran with the second team at RB. 

- WRs had some outstanding catches and a pretty solid day overall  

- The tight ends looked really good, especially the first group which consisted of Amari Niblack, Juan Davis and Gunnar Helm. All three ran with the first team. 

- Both Helm and Davis had “impressive catches” and Davis got a touchdown of his own. 

- Jordan Washington turned in a solid performance, including a long reception that went for about 25-30 yards.

- I’m told third string QB Trey Owens had a very impressive drive that ended in a touchdown after marching down the length of the field. 

- Trey Owens also threw an interception, but I'm not sure who made that play. (EDIT: Walk-on Graham Gillespie is the one who picked off Trey Owens.)

I’ll update later with anything else I get. 

More notes (3:45 PM):

- The defense actually forced another fumble after Jordan Washington’s big catch, knocking the ball loose from Washington during the tackle, but it bounced out of bounds. 

- “The defense looked good,” a source told me. “The front seven was getting after it. Every position group. This defense is stingy”

- More tight end praise, as I was told every tight end who took snaps today made plays that helped the offense. 

- I’m told Tyanthony Smith is a PLAYER.

“He’s going to be a beast,” a source said. “Mark my word, he will play this year.”

- Liona Lefau was another linebacker who received praise.

“He is good. He’s fast to the ball and consistently just seems to be in the right place.” 

4:05 PM Update: I asked a source to pick an MVP on each side of the ball. 

Offense: Ryan Wingo

Defense: “I’d give it to the whole defense. They got after it.”

• Hook 'Em 36

• Moderators

More notes (3:45 PM):

- The defense actually forced another fumble after Jordan Washington’s big catch, knocking the ball loose from Washington during the tackle, but it bounced out of bounds. 

- “The defense looked good,” a source told me. “The front seven was getting after it. Every position group. This defense is stingy”

- More tight end praise, as I was told every tight end who took snaps today made plays that helped the offense. 

- I’m told Tyanthony Smith is a PLAYER.

“He’s going to be a beast,” a source said. “Mark my word, he will play this year.”

- Liona Lefau was another linebacker who received praise.

“He is good. He’s fast to the ball and consistently just seems to be in the right place.” 

• Hook 'Em 6

• Blake Munroe changed the title to Saturday Scrimmage Notes (UPDATED Saturday 3:45 PM)
  • Blake Munroe changed the title to Saturday Scrimmage Notes (UPDATED Saturday 4:05 PM)
5 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

Texas has him listed as 6’3, 235-pounds. As far as his speed, that’s a question better suited for @Gerry Hamilton or @CJ Vogel.

He ran anchor on his 800 relay team at Marlin his senior year in HS. My daughter ran at state and I happened to be there when he ran at state. It was impressive seeing a kid with that size running like that.

• Hook 'Em 1