Williams and the MLB

I think that the only thing that matters is if he enrolls and starts school.  Then he can't be drafted until 3 years after his high school graduating class date or when he reaches age 21 (within a certain window relative to the MLB draft).  The latter is how Jared Thomas and Jalin Flores were draft eligible after their sophomore years at UT, while most guys who play college have to wait to be drafted until after their junior year.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Raistlin said:

The major development, reported in an interview with Jonah by GH, is that Jonah currently plans to enroll at Texas for the Spring.  That means no MLB threat until he is 21 years old as I understand it.

Correct 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

The major development, reported in an interview with Jonah by GH, is that Jonah currently plans to enroll at Texas for the Spring.  That means no MLB threat until he is 21 years old as I understand it.

This is correct.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, .45s said:

I think that the only thing that matters is if he enrolls and starts school.  Then he can't be drafted until 3 years after his high school graduating class date or when he reaches age 21 (within a certain window relative to the MLB draft).  The latter is how Jared Thomas and Jalin Flores were draft eligible after their sophomore years at UT, while most guys who play college have to wait to be drafted until after their junior year.

I lost my train of thought when writing my initial response, but I think after enrolling there is still some kind of trigger that is required to start the 3 year MLB draft restriction and it has something to do with either starting practice with the team or playing in a game.  Somebody here probably knows the exact rule governing MLB draft rules for college baseball players/students.