Maalik Murphy in action - Duke vs Northwestern at 6 PM MT on Fox Sports 1

Sorry I started this post guys. A lot of BAD football being played tonight 🙂  Muffed punt, blocked punt, missed 32 yard FG to tie the game ... tied game at 13-13 as I type this (of course - bad football so why not play OT?)

Maalik almost lost the game when he appeared to fumble on the final drive but it was overturned upon review.  Then with first down at I think the 13 and a minute to go he misses a wide open receiver in the end zone, then a decent run by a RB to about the 5 yard line, then a completed pass for -2 yards and a short FG to go to OT.

At the end of regulation Maalik's passing numbers are 21/36 (58%) for 192 yards, 5.3 ypa, 1 TD, 1 INT.  Could have had at least one more INT, should have had at least one more TD.

When Maalik has time to throw and the first option is open he does fine but when the play breaks down he struggles.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, syracusehorn said:

Murphy hasn't been great, but his receivers have dropped several passes and generally aren't playmakers.

Yep.  Makes you really appreciate the Texas receivers, who can at least get separation and catch the ball.  I don't watch much college football besides Texas and maybe one other big weekly game, but watching this one brings home the fact that there are a lot of mediocre teams out there.  I don't think there's another player on the field from either team who would have been recruited by Texas.

For those who weren’t watching the game. There was a 25 mph wind on the field & Maalik was ripping it against that wind. Ugly game & he needs to take care of the ball better, but he still possesses tremendous throwing ability. I hope he develops into a consistently good QB!

• Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators

Imperative for Duke that that get that some confidence for Maalik early ... the last eight games for them are going to be tough. 

Next two "should be" W's and build confidence. 

Maalik ... Duke has to give him clean pockets. If they do, and he can play and step up in the pocket - he can make enough of the throws needed. When it becomes more of a playmaking on the move type game, his accuracy and lack of mobility becomes exposed. He's got a lot of similarities to DJ Uiagalelei ... but Maalik has turned it over more early in his time on the field. Maalik has thrown an INT in every game he has started in CFB ... he's got to make better decisions with the ball to take the next step. 

23 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Maalik has thrown an INT in every game he has started in CFB ... he's got to make better decisions with the ball to take the next step. 

The KSU last year is a good example. We are up 17-0 in the 2nd qtr and he threw an INT fairly deep in KSU territory.

Then in the 4th qtr we are up 2 TD’s and he threw an INT deep in our own territory. KSU got the ball around our 10 yard line and scored.

Hopefully he will make better decisions with more experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1