Grammarly Ads

Didn't think I'd wake up this morning to find a link to a scholarly journal dedicated to Cormac McCarthy.

I finally finished "Blood Meridian" this year.  I had started it at least three times over the past 15 years and couldn't get past the seemingly gratuitous depictions of mindless violence.

I started it again this year and the last 2/3 of the book were a revelation.  Perspective warping. I finished it and immediately read it again.

I've almost finished with the Border Trilogy now. Anyway, was stoked to see @harveycmd's post this morning.

"You can find meanness in the least of creatures, but when God made man the devil was at his elbow. A creature that can do anything. Make a machine. And a machine to make the machine. And evil that can run itself a thousand years, no need to tend it.

(also, I only get Google Fiber and ulcerative colitis ads)

Edited by horns96

13 hours ago, Burnt Orange Horn said:

Read their terns of service. They retain full rights.

I don't know how to say this so that one grasps the totality of the situation, but they claim the "rights" to publication of the essay on that website, meaning one cannot retrieve it and republish any portion of it from that website without their permission, I can do whatever I want with it because I'm the author and the original copyright holder prior to its publication on that website. In other words, before they published it on their website, I copyrighted it. Their deal is with the Cormac McCarthy Journal. I didn't cede ownership of the intellectual property to the journal; rather, I gave them permission to publish and distribute the essay with the legal proviso that its mine (that's what copyright does). That's why I alluded to the judge from Blood Meridian, who, if you have read and studied the novel, claims to own the universe. My claim is far more limited but airtight nonetheless.

By way of proof of ownership, I have given permission to several university presses (including the University of Texas) to publish the essay in anthologies on Cormac McCarthy as an author or specific volumes dedicated to Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West in particular.

Edited by harveycmd

Another fun fact here that has a connection to the University of Texas, Clint Eastwood and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: the guy who was the editor of the Cormac McCarthy Journal at the time was Rick Wallach, who was the nephew of Eli Wallach, who of course went to Texas and starred with Clint in the famous Sergio Leone film. Rick was an adjunct professor at the University of Miami at the time. Rick was a raging lefty. I don't know if you can tell by reading the essay, but I'm not. In any event, Rick always stuck up for me when I was attacked by lefty nutjobs in the academy, in large part because he personally knew McCarthy and knew that my interpretation was in line with McCarthy's views on sociopolitical matters. That and he and I really got along well and loved to talk about Eli Wallach's wonderful performance in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. 

In fact, I originally presented that essay at a conference held at Black Hills State University on 28-30 September 2009. I ended up winning an award for having the best paper. At the end of the conference, I was at dinner with my wife, two young daughters and a bunch of McCarthy scholars from all over the world. A famous literary critic from the Sorbonne lit into me right in front of my children while we were eating buffalo steaks. She was upset that I had the audacity to claim McCarthy or any author worth anything could be conservative. Rick chewed her out, told her knew for a fact that McCarthy held the views I claimed in the essay, and told her she should apologize, She didn't. She left instead. After that, my daughters (who were eight and five at the time), had a long discussion with Rick about the cinematic greatness of Leone, Eastwood and Eli Wallach's performance.

By the way, the conversation with Sorbonne critic at the restaurant in Spearfish was in French, German and Spanish. She assumed that I was a typical American who only spoke English. She started in French, which I know enough to understand, but not to speak comfortably. I responded to her in German, knowing that the French always throw their hands up when the Germans appear. She knew a little German and started her reply in German but switched to Spanish, which McCarthy often reverted to in his writing. I knew Spanish tolerably well and carried on. Rick spoke Spanish to her. People in the restaurant were staring at us like a terrorist attack was about to descend upon them. That's the kind of thing you get in to when dealing with such people. 

2 hours ago, Blake Munroe said:

I have absolutely no idea what’s going on in this thread. 

Blake...A couple of things come to mind...1) "Fake it 'till you make it,"  and 2) "If you know, then you'll KNOW..." 

Relating this to typical First Year (the archaic term "Freshman" is no longer used) undergraduate students at UT Austin... when enrolled in ENG (insert random UNIQUE number here, first digit must be a 3 - eg, 343, 329, etc.), you walk into the first day of class at PAR(LIN) Hall as an Engineering Major for your required English class and 1) when the Professor asks, you answer with a self-assured word salad being sure to note how much you enjoyed the first reading assignment given in the syllabus you got with the books at the Co-op, and 2) if you don't have a clue about your answer to the Prof's question, speak and act as if you've never been more CERTAIN of anything. *

*NOTE this works every time for Engineering students taking required Non-Engineering courses like English. However, it does NOT work in reverse and you'll get kicked out of UT if you try this as an English major in a required course in the hard sciences. In that case, your football Student Tickets will be revoked and will be null and void. FURTHER NOTE no refunds are given for BLANKET TAX ( i.e. Sports Fee) you pre- paid with your parents' credit card. Avoid this mistake at all costs since the only reason you chose to attend UT is to enjoy the Football Seasons for your full seven years of undergraduate school.

Finally, Blake, remember to use lots of commas and footnotes in your writing assignments and be sure to watch EVERY Clint Eastwood "Spaghetti Western" movie before enrolling at UT and attending classes before the first football game.

Hook 'Em Horns!