Texas' Strength of Schedule

NancyS

I'd like to get thoughts on the Texas football schedule. I see a lot of people claiming that Texas has an easy schedule, full of cupcakes. They go further to say that the schedule will hurt Texas down the road. My thoughts are that; a. The SEC makes the schedules and b. Strength of schedule isn't as important as it once was because of the new playoff system. Will our schedule hurt us?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy,

The +++ games of Michigan (Big House), OU(rivalry), Georgia and MaT(rivalry on their field) will all work in our favor.  If they take care of business and go to the SEC championship we will be in the playoffs win or lose in that game.  A 12-1 or 11-2 Texas is playoff bound. 

Edited by Adam Lane
  • Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, Adam Lane said:

Nancy,

The +++ games of Michigan (Big House), OU(rivalry), Georgia and MaT(rivalry on their field) will all work in our favor.  If they take care of business and go to the SEC championship we will be in the playoffs win or lose in that game.  A 12-1 or 11-2 Texas is playoff bound. 

This is where I come out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NancyS said:

I'd like to get thoughts on the Texas football schedule. I see a lot of people claiming that Texas has an easy schedule, full of cupcakes. They go further to say that the schedule will hurt Texas down the road. My thoughts are that; a. The SEC makes the schedules and b. Strength of schedule isn't as important as it once was because of the new playoff system. Will our schedule hurt us?

I think for the elite teams, which Texas is this year, a softer schedule actually favors us in the 12 team playoff era. I think every team needs a few games that really test them during the year but an easier schedule means less time on the field for starters & can help mitigate some potential injuries. I mean if we look at Georgia last year they had an easy schedule & only missed the playoffs because it was still set at 4 teams. Also, regardless of schedule, an undefeated team in the SEC will be ranked number headed into conference championship week. Win that game & it’s a guaranteed bye & the number 1 overall seed. That’s important.

• Hook 'Em 2