My CFB top 10 after week 5

• Moderators

My CFB top 10 after week 5 

The cream is starting to rise to the top in the 2024 college football season. 

The No. 1 takeaway from Saturday was Kalen DeBoer and Jalen Milroe have the ability to overwhelm a talented opponent. And Ryan Williams is special, and a bad motor scooter in DeBoer's offense. 

No. 2 takeaway is Georgia has the fight in them, and will give Texas all they want and then some in Austin October 19. 

No. 3 takeaway is Texas nor Ohio State have been tested by a high-end QB or offense yet. And quite frankly, we need to see it. 

1. Alabama 
Jalen Milroe is the Heisman Trophy favorite, Kalen DeBoer is arguably the best pure coach in CFB, they have enough disruptive ability on defense and the schedule now sets up really well with the toughest road game at Tennessee October 19. 

2. Texas 
A week off prior to the Red River Rivalry couldn't come at a better time. Texas secondary looked beatable down the field for the first time Saturday, but who on the schedule can truly exploit that over an entire game? Georgia will certainly try October 19, and has the skill to have success. The Longhorns will face the best QB to this point this season in Dallas, but will the Sooners have any healthy WR's to apply the pressure is the key question.

3. Ohio State
If the Buckeyes had been tested a little more, would likely have them No. 2. That test comes October 12 at Oregon. We shall see if Will Howard passes that test. Ohio State has multiple future NFL draft picks at RB and WR around him. Defensively, they have very high-end talent, but haven't been tested yet. 

4. Georgia
The Bulldogs showed a lot of fight, and that they will be a factor in the CFP race. The vast majority of teams would have been blown out by 40 after the early Alabama avalanche and Beck's struggles. Alabama and Georgia are still more talented 1 through 85 than the rest of the SEC, but Texas and Tennessee have closed the gap. 

5. Tennessee
Vols had the week off, and are back on the road next weekend at Arkansas. Tennessee is a legit CFB contender with the October 19 contest in Knoxville vs. Alabama looming large in the SEC race. The vols also play at Georgia November 16. 

- It gets more murky after the top 5 -

6. Oregon
They have an SEC top tier level talented team. The Ducks will be 5-0 when Ohio State rolls into Nike U. 

7. Penn State
Feels like a tough call to go with James Franklin in the top 7. Their talent level is deserving. Penn State will be 5-0 when they travel to Los Angeles to take on USC October 12. 

8. Clemson
The Tigers may not necessarily be the No. 8 ranked team, but they have the scheduled to remain standing in the top 10 after others start beating each other. With that said, Clemson has responded to the disappointing season opening loss to Georgia with blowout victories, and have a 10-2 schedule. And they will play better defense than Miami. There are still 25-30 future NFL draft picks on the roster.

9. Missouri
I'm really not on board with the Miami Hurricanes after Friday night. That's the only way to have Missouri here. Guess I'm giving Mike Elko an opportunity for a top 10 win right here. Missouri had the weekend off before heading to College Station October 5. Missouri hasn't looked like a top 10 team, but who truly has after the top 5. 

10. Miami
The Hurricanes have the schedule to finish in the top 10 playing in the ACC and should make the CFP, but they would be a 4-5 loss team in the SEC. Defense is LSU'ish, and Cam Ward continues to make too many bad TO's. But like Missouri have continued to win. 

Considered:
LSU
Michigan
USC

Should I have considered?
BYU
Boise State
Indiana

• Hook 'Em 12

• Moderators
Just now, pinkman_90 said:

Even in the top 5, every team has some clear weaknesses.  Will be very matchup dependent.  Thought Bama’s gameplan in the second half was horrendous and got saved by a 17 year old phenom.  

Agreed on the top 5. Zero perfect teams in CFB ... I think the era of truly great teams over a period of time are long gone with the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If the Ryan Williams play does not happen Bama was looking at being outscored 27-3 in the second half and blowing a 30-7 halftime lead at home.  Williams pretty much saved DeBoer from being the talk of college football in a very bad way. Kirby and his staff severely outcoached the Bama staff in the second half. And other than the freshman saving them they looked to have no answers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My thoughts on Texas is they played their worst game of the year and won by 22. Getting Quinn to 100% and working on those self inflicted mistakes (false starts, holding, etc..) will benefit Texas. For what it’s worth I also would say Tre Wisner should be RB1 going forward.. as far as the defense goes the secondary still looked good but the run defense is what I’m more concerned with especially with Hawkins at QB for OU.  As far as Georgia and Carson Beck go, I think our defense can confuse the hell out of Beck and rattle him all night. Especially if their Oline is more banged up.  I also don’t think beck has found his WR1 or a security blanket just yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, pskjace said:

If the Ryan Williams play does not happen Bama was looking at being outscored 27-3 in the second half and blowing a 30-7 halftime lead at home.  Williams pretty much saved DeBoer from being the talk of college football in a very bad way. Kirby and his staff severely outcoached the Bama staff in the second half. And other than the freshman saving them they looked to have no answers. 

So the first half doesn't count? 

How about two of the top 3 coaches in CFB with very talented teams produced a tremendous game. 

Alabama has two true game changers on offense in Milroe and Williams. Isn't that part of the whole enchilada? Having game changing players make big plays? Bama still had over 200 yards of offense in the second half, despite Georgia finding success in the third quarter and putting together long drives.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, pskjace said:

Williams is a freak. And that’s putting it lightly.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
Just now, Texas fan in Georgia said:

My thoughts on Texas is they played their worst game of the year and won by 22. Getting Quinn to 100% and working on those self inflicted mistakes (false starts, holding, etc..) will benefit Texas. For what it’s worth I also would say Tre Wisner should be RB1 going forward.. as far as the defense goes the secondary still looked good but the run defense is what I’m more concerned with especially with Hawkins at QB for OU.  As far as Georgia and Carson Beck go, I think our defense can confuse the hell out of Beck and rattle him all night. Especially if their Oline is more banged up.  I also don’t think beck has found his WR1 or a security blanket just yet. 

They kicked that dude off ... RaRa Thomas. I really do think the off the field issues are starting to catch up. But they are still so talented. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

How about two of the top 3 coaches in CFB with very talented teams produced a tremendous game. 

Alabama has two true game changers on offense in Milroe and Williams. Isn't that part of the whole enchilada? Having game changing players make big plays? Bama still had over 200 yards of offense in the second half, despite Georgia finding success in the third quarter and putting together long drives.

DeBoer is one of the best coaches in CFB.  But that second half gameplan was suspect at best.  

First half got all sorts of pressure on Beck then decided to rush 3/4 and sit back with 30 minutes left to play.  And still allowed 3 TDs in a total of 5 mins.  

I would flip Texas and Alabama only reasons is USF and took till late 4th to win and blew a the large lead last night. Then TEXAS has led all season and most consistent and leave no doubt about outcome with a Arch playing. Now wait for the next 3 weeks and see what happens.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pinkman_90 said:

DeBoer is one of the best coaches in CFB.  But that second half gameplan was suspect at best.  

First half got all sorts of pressure on Beck then decided to rush 3/4 and sit back with 30 minutes left to play.  And still allowed 3 TDs in a total of 5 mins.  

DeBoer did that in the Sugar Bowl 9 months ago.  He doesn’t have many flaws as a gameday HC, but that’s his biggest one imo

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Forrest J. said:

Texas still has the most impressive  win of the season IMO. On the road 20pt win against no. 10  at the big house v. Holding on to be no. 2 at home… 

Don't disagree from a singular game standpoint because it was on the road. Michigan is legit on defense, and will be so long as their offense gives enough hope. The Wolverines should be an 8-4/9-3 level team if they don't have internal issues as the season moves along.  

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

All of what you said is true. That said a chunk of that Bama 2nd half yardage came on that final offensive play. (76 yards) My point is that if they had been outscored 27-3 in the second half at home after being up 30-7 at half what would the headline have been?  No doubt Bama played phenomenal in the first half and he coached phenomenal in the first half. However for a portion of that second half they looked shell shocked. Regardless it was a fantastic game. My point is that if it wasn’t for that play the conversation today about the second half is very different. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Nathan Larson said:

I would flip Texas and Alabama only reasons is USF and took till late 4th to win and blew a the large lead last night. Then TEXAS has led all season and most consistent and leave no doubt about outcome with a Arch playing. Now wait for the next 3 weeks and see what happens.

I hear that for sure. Bama had those three TO's against USF that kept it close, then turned on the afterburners. 

I just can't have Texas 1 after Saturday. Mississippi State is a very bad football team. Like 2-10/3-9 bad. Arizona State rushed for about 300 yards on them. Toledo (23-28), Florida (26-28) and Texas (26-31) have completed 87% of passes on the Bulldogs the last three weeks. Mississippi State is really bad in pass pro, started a true freshman in his first game ... and Texas has to stop turning the ball over - they essentially had three Saturday counting a dropped TD pass by Cook on 3rd down. Texas got beat deep a few times too, but State can't really take advantage (one the WR lost ball looking back into the sun). Couldn't get off the field in the first half defensively. Wins are wins, but that was a bad game Saturday IMO. 

But, Alabama could go do the same next week too. We shall see. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Gerry,

Impove ya, but in my mind the Ga -Ala game showed two very flawed teams with marginally talented throwing QB’s but Miltoe can really run. Neither throw anywhere near as accurately as Arch ir Quinn ot show the QB savvy of Quinn, and I would not feel as good about either secondary after that game. The comments I have heard and agree with is Texas still looks like the most complete and versatile team

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Richard Herbst said:

Gerry,

Impove ya, but in my mind the Ga -Ala game showed two very flawed teams with marginally talented throwing QB’s but Miltoe can really run. Neither throw anywhere near as accurately as Arch ir Quinn ot show the QB savvy of Quinn, and I would not feel as good about either secondary after that game. The comments I have heard and agree with is Texas still looks like the most complete and versatile team

We shall see. Texas defense hasn't faced a good QB or offensive team yet. If they pass that test, then I can go there. But we all need to see it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I hear that for sure. Bama had those three TO's against USF that kept it close, then turned on the afterburners. 

I just can't have Texas 1 after Saturday. Mississippi State is a very bad football team. Like 2-10/3-9 bad. Arizona State rushed for about 300 yards on them. Toledo (23-28), Florida (26-28) and Texas (26-31) have completed 87% of passes on the Bulldogs the last three weeks. Mississippi State is really bad in pass pro, started a true freshman in his first game ... and Texas has to stop turning the ball over - they essentially had three Saturday counting a dropped TD pass by Cook on 3rd down. Texas got beat deep a few times too, but State can't really take advantage (one the WR lost ball looking back into the sun). Couldn't get off the field in the first half defensively. Wins are wins, but that was a bad game Saturday IMO. 

Plus Georgia barely escaped Kentucky and barely losing to Bama as of now to many factors but then again Michigan got pushed around by us.

5 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

It was also Turnover Saturday throughout the national also.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Nathan Larson said:

Plus Georgia barely escaped Kentucky and barely losing to Bama as of now to many factors but then again Michigan got pushed around by us.

Kentucky winning at Ole Miss changes the narrative coming out of the Georgia @ Kentucky game for me. 

Then for it is hard for Bama to jump to 1. Now if they kept doing what they did in the first half and gave up points(cause it is going to happen) in the second half and not score 11 rather than 17+ for sure the should be 1. But a field goal and late.TD and lost momentum and couldn't make adjustments while Texas did in the second half.