Vandy is officially DANGEROUS!!!

1 hour ago, Dread-headed Texan said:

As cool as Vandy offense is DP is still not a qb and we're going to make him play qb.

If leadership is job 1 for a QB then Diego Pavia is the best college QB in the nation.  Go back and watch him for NMxSt against Auburn at Auburn last season. He is probably not going to the NFL or even the CFL, but he is a rare specimen of a certain type of great college QB.

8 minutes ago, Cujonation83 said:

Totally agree. Bama defense didn't adjust at all as well. Womack is to on the hot seat very soon. 

It's just as much on Deboer as it is Womack. Deboer is a great playcaller, but lacks in the game management and situational football aspect of coaching. We seen it last year when he made crucial mistakes that gave Texas a chance to win it at the end. We seen it against UGA when he let UGA come all the way back and take the lead. When seen it again yesterday when he kept dailing up homerun plays thats just going to put a tired defense right back on the field and when on the strip sack that if he runs the ball there they probably score and rest his defense and give them time to adjust. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MarkInAustin said:

If leadership is job 1 for a QB then Diego Pavia is the best college QB in the nation.  Go back and watch him for NMxSt against Auburn at Auburn last season. He is probably not going to the NFL or even the CFL, but he is a rare specimen of a certain type of great college QB.

Pavia is not the guy that's going to beat you dropping back and beating you with his arm? Vandy does not have the talent on the outside thats going to beat a Texas secondary. Pavia is also a guy who is going to put the ball on the ground. Pavia is not great, if he was they don't lose to GA ST. Would you take Pavia over Arch, Quinn, hell even Trey. Watch what happens when he has to play qb against Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, MarkInAustin said:

Pavia is what Jalen Daniels was last year. People hyped him up as a Heisman candidate, fast forward to today and teams are saying beat me with your arm and without all the gimmicks and he's cheeks.

6 minutes ago, Dread-headed Texan said:

It's just as much on Deboer as it is Womack. Deboer is a great playcaller, but lacks in the game management and situational football aspect of coaching. We seen it last year when he made crucial mistakes that gave Texas a chance to win it at the end. We seen it against UGA when he let UGA come all the way back and take the lead. When seen it again yesterday when he kept dailing up homerun plays thats just going to put a tired defense right back on the field and when on the strip sack that if he runs the ball there they probably score and rest his defense and give them time to adjust. 

Is KDB's calling deep shots based on his QB's strengths and weaknesses coupled with a suspect run game?  Tying this to your comment about QBs, with which I partially agree, if  KDB had QE he could use the short pass to advantage and probably would. 

I agree with you that Texas has two QBs who would win more games at Texas then would a Diego Pavia, because they are great passers and smart players. 

Where I disagree with you is this: Diego Pavia has been a QB for teams without notable talent and has led them to astonishing wins, in games where they would have lost by multiple TDs without him.  He is not able to overcome all his team's shortcomings, all the time.  Vandy will lose many games that it should lose - after all, Pavia does not play on defense.  But he inspires his teammates to play over their heads in tough games.  Frankly, I doubt QE would thrive at Vandy,

But QE will be a pro QB and Diego Pavia may become a head coach in high school. 

Some day Pavia may become the head coach at Vandy.  But he will never have QE's career at QB.

In that respect, I agree with you.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, MarkInAustin said:

Is KDB's calling deep shots based on his QB's strengths and weaknesses coupled with a suspect run game?  Tying this to your comment about QBs, with which I partially agree, if  KDB had QE he could use the short pass to advantage and probably would. 

I agree with you that Texas has two QBs who would win more games at Texas then would a Diego Pavia, because they are great passers and smart players. 

Where I disagree with you is this: Diego Pavia has been a QB for teams without notable talent and has led them to astonishing wins, in games where they would have lost by multiple TDs without him.  He is not able to overcome all his team's shortcomings, all the time.  Vandy will lose many games that it should lose - after all, Pavia does not play on defense.  But he inspires his teammates to play over their heads in tough games.  Frankly, I doubt QE would thrive at Vandy,

Some day Pavia may become the head coach at Vandy.  But he will never have QE's career at QB.

Fair enough 🤘🏿

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dread-headed Texan said:

You're reading too much into Vandy run game. They're not some juggernaut, the play calling and execution on offense is the reason Alabama lost. Look at the difference in time of possession. Alabama's defense was on the feild too long. Vandy defense isn't some brick wall. So why did Alabama not string drives together instead of trying to hit home runs. The outcome and strategy from Sark will be much different. Sark understands complementary football. Sark knows how to protect his defense with his offense. While people complain about PK, one thing he does great this year is make you do what you don't want to and I bet you won't see a light box against Vandy. As cool as Vandy offense is DP is still not a qb and we're going to make him play qb. 

Yup, Bama executed Vandy's game plan for them.  

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, horns96 said:

Yup, Bama executed Vandy's game plan for them.  

I'm just saying State tried a similar gameplan against us. They held the ball for majority of the first half. We had the same amount of turnovers as Bama had against Vandy. We had stupid penalties that killed drives. The thing is we limited State to FGs and in the second half for the most part we made State do what they didn't want to do. Eventually the levy broke and our depth took over. Bama could have played a similar game plan that we executed. But they just want to match Vandy score for score instead of inching back into the game and keep Vandy off the feild by using those Bama backs and letting Bamas line fire off run blocking instead of catching blocks in pass coverage. Deboer is an OC not a headcoach. He lacks in managing the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Dread-headed Texan said:

I'm just saying State tried a similar gameplan against us. They held the ball for majority of the first half. We had the same amount of turnovers as Bama had against Vandy. We had stupid penalties that killed drives. The thing is we limited State to FGs and in the second half for the most part we made State do what they didn't want to do. Eventually the levy broke and our depth took over. Bama could have played a similar game plan that we executed. But they just want to match Vandy score for score instead of inching back into the game and keep Vandy off the feild by using those Bama backs and letting Bamas line fire off run blocking instead of catching blocks in pass coverage. Deboer is an OC not a headcoach. He lacks in managing the game.

Coach Sioux Falls is not 108-13 by accident, but I agree that his teams do not play complimentary football at times, and it causes his games to be much closer than they should be.  Despite Penix playing the game of his life, Texas had a chance to beat him after being down double digits late because he didn't run the ball and bleed the clock.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, qaertyisthatdude said:

Coach Sioux Falls is not 108-13 by accident, but I agree that his teams do not play complimentary football at times, and it causes his games to be much closer than they should be.  Despite Penix playing the game of his life, Texas had a chance to beat him after being down double digits late because he didn't run the ball and bleed the clock.

He did the same thing against UGA. They blow UGA out if he ran the ball once he went up. Reminds me of Sark's first two years at Texas we would go up big knowing we lacked depth defensively but the rbs was our biggest strength and when Sark just kept forcing the deep shots our defense would wear down and we would lose. Deboer is still coaching like he's in the Pac 12 and don't have the abundance of riches that he does. That will get him ran out of town.

14 minutes ago, qaertyisthatdude said:

I'm not sure he's figured out that he's no longer the outmatched underdog.  

• Hook 'Em 1

As mentioned upthread TOP was key in this game.
Bama only had the ball for 17:52 min. In the game. That’s a really remarkable stat.
Even if Bama doesn’t have a ++ running game they have talent to control more clock than that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MarkInAustin said:

I enjoyed the back and forth BTW. Lol I tell my nephew all the time that the hardest part of being a Longhorn fan is that it often intersects with Cowboy fans. Which I am NOT😂. Cowboy fans tend to bring that we're dem boys and we winning it all logic to the table every year and when it doesn't happen it's fire everybody in the offseason. Not sure if you're a Cowboy fan or not but I can respect a logical person and that sir is you🤘🏿

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, MarkInAustin said:

Pavia will be like Gabriel and do college football for 7 yrs.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Lavalulu said:

Vanderbilt had 48 min possession vs Alabama  18 min.

In the 18 minutes Alabama had the ball they scored 35 points.

Texas needs to find an answer for Vanderbilt 

They have they answer. Drive down the field and limit Vandy to three yards per carry or play nad when they get to the RZ make them kick fgs while Texas scores TDs. Now you make Vandy play conventional football and Pavia play conventional football. Now you can capitalize on the many mistakes he's going to make.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Lavalulu said:

Pavia will be like Gabriel and do college football for 7 yrs.

Frfr the problem with gimmicky offenses is once you show the gimmick teams can now practice against it and gameplan for it. That option shovel pass was sweet, but they used it twice. The next time they try it it'll be a TFL.