In The Pipeline | Secondary

• Moderators

The final segment of the In The Pipeline series takes a deeper look at the revamped secondary. Whether it be via the portal or the high school ranks, the Texas secondary room has turned a new leaf as the move to the SEC nears.

One thing is for sure: Texas added a ton of athleticism and speed in these position rooms since January 1. 

Cornerbacks

On Roster: Terrance Brooks, Malik Muhammad, Gavin Holmes, Warren Roberson, Wardell Mack, Santana Wilson, Kobe Black

Coming Soon: TBD

For 2024: What was a bit of a question mark in 2023, now becomes a strength of the team in 2024. Texas should not have to wait very long to name their starting cornerback duo for next season as both Brooks and Muhammad return. Gavin Holmes was solid in his rotational snaps a year ago, there is no shortage of confidence from him as well which is a great sign to push the competition envelope. I expect we see Warren Roberson in 2024, the staff likes his athleticism. Where the freshmen group fits in is interesting to me. Lots of length and speed joining the room, but which of the bunch is physically ready and mentally prepared for college ball? The spring will give us a better idea.

Beyond: Terry Joseph's room has reloaded the depth necessary at corner. Texas also likes to rotate at this spot and get a number of guys snaps in just about every situation during the season which bodes well for getting youngsters acclimated. Right now, the vision is very bright for 2025. It is no guarantee that Brooks departs or returns, but either way, there will be capable bodies and what should be a CB1 in Muhammad by the time he becomes a junior. The 2025 recruiting cycle is interesting to me, if Texas can land Dorian Brew, the rich get richer, however if not, where does that next envelope-pusher come from for the competition of the room?

STAR

On Roster: Jahdae Barron, Jaylon Guilbeau, Austin Jordan

For 2024: How big was it that Jahdae Barron opted to return for the Texas defense? I'll answer that: huge. Barron received solid draft grades, right around the 5th or 6th round is where I had heard he was expected to go, however he comes back to Austin looking to carry out a fully healthy campaign for one last go-round. The addition of Andrew Mukuba provides versatility to the secondary, but I see Barron remaining close to the ball where his IQ makes the biggest difference in his game. We saw a lot of Guilbeau his freshman season before injury derailed his development. Does he stick around after spring ball? I like Austin Jordan, but wonder what impact he will have during his time on campus.

Beyond: When Jahdae departs, this position becomes a bit of a question mark for me. Which of the freshmen get run at STAR this spring? That might be the indicator of what happens here if I am being honest. I would like to think Jaylon Guilbeau finds his role here and thrives. He has great instincts around the football and will be entering his senior season in 2025, but I question his health overall. Jordon Johnson-Rubell projects as a deep safety, his size is not a great match here, but I love his football IQ and think he could play that Quandre Diggs-nickel role if asked. A bit of a question mark moving forward. One thing I would love to see is Jelani McDonald take over this role. He already fits the build of a hybrid safety and linebacker and at STAR you get the best of both worlds with his skillset.

Safety

On Roster: Derek Williams, Michael Taaffe, Andrew Mukuba, Jelani McDonald, Xavier Filsaime, Jordon Johnson-Rubell

For 2024: Yes please! This is a fun unit. There is a tremendous combination of experience and youth combined with plus athleticism and an increased level of speed on the field. Adding Andrew Mukuba to the roster was huge. A three-year starter with big time accolades helps the Longhorns add a piece they were missing here. Derek Williams is my pick to join him in the starting lineup for the beginning of the season. Taaffe will get run as will freshman Xavier Filsaime. How much? That is to be determined because that role will not be handed over easily with Jelani McDonald in the way. Regardless, a healthier and more complete looking DB room entering 2024.

Beyond: I would expect Mukuba to depart after the season and potentially Taaffe. Best part of this room is its youth. We have talked about is expected to be an improved on-field product next season, though what isn't mentioned is the youth in which this room is expected to take in. Derek Williams, Xavier Filsaime, Jelani McDonald and Jordon Johnson-Rubell as the safeties over the next 2-3 years sounds like a dream for Blake Gideon. Development will be key, but there is plenty of raw talent to build upon at the moment.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 3