Afternoon Nuggets from Junior Day

• Moderators

A few noteworthy tidbits I wanted to share from conversations I had over the past couple of hours regarding Texas' Junior Day festivities.

– First, new co-defensive coordinator and LB coach Johnny Nansen made a really strong initial impact with a number of prospects. Texas hosted an impressive crop of linebackers on the visit, but his impact trickled down to prospects all over the defense. 2026 Bastrop DL Tiki Hola mentioned he was immediately able to connect with Nansen as the result of their Polynesian ties. We have talked about the impact Nansen will have in the Poly community and it is already started to have an affect. Nansen's impact made a strong impression yesterday.

– 2025 five-star LB Jonah Williams was someone we were expecting to make it to campus this week. He did not make the trip unfortunately.

– 2025 Pleasant Grove EDGE Lance Jackson is being recruited at BUCK by the Texas staff. The Longhorns made a really strong pitch to the 6-foot-5 pass rusher on Saturday. Jackson told me he had been to Austin for a camp and a game previously, but this visit really allowed him to take in the facilities in a slower environment. Jackson also said Pete Kwiatkoski was with him for almost his entire trip while on campus, should give you a nice idea of how much the Longhorns covet his ability. No other visits are planned at the moment as Jackson will turn focus to getting ready for his upcoming season on the mound.

– 2027 University High DB Davonrtae Kirkland is going to be a name to know. He has the tools to be a top five player in the state of his class and the Longhorns have him firmly on their radar. An offer was not extended on the trip, however, Kirkland said the Texas staff wants him to return for a visit in the near future. This kid is a stud.

– 2025 Cibolo Steele WR Royal Capell is one that I had on offer watch, however he left without an offer in hand. Capell told me Texas was impressed with his versatility. He was compared to Deebo Samuel when I was at Steele last week.

– 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, CJ Vogel said:

– 2025 five-star LB Jonah Williams was someone we were expecting to make it to campus this week. He did not make the trip unfortunately.

Did @Bobby Burton call him a whale of a player and scare him off?

Edited by Viper
  • Haha 3

I think we can probably get Jonah Williams off our wishlist. More likely than not going to go pro in baseball, which, after what Shohei got, you can’t blame anyone. 

Also I’m beyond pumped for this site. Love the YT content but having a forum to read things from y'all makes it that much better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Coltsbumshoulder said:

I think we can probably get Jonah Williams off our wishlist. More likely than not going to go pro in baseball, which, after what Shohei got, you can’t blame anyone. 

Also I’m beyond pumped for this site. Love the YT content but having a forum to read things from y'all makes it that much better. 

Glad you're here!