Kyle Shanahan fires DC Wilks after one season

13 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He didn't seem happy with some of the defensive calls in the 4th and overtime. Think even took a TO to change one. Guess he REALLY didn't like them. 

When I said SF had the better team, but KC has Mahomes and better coaching. That was not a slap at Shanahan, but in respect to Spags. 

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, CJ Vogel said:

A bit surprising. Would the same move had happened if they won the Super Bowl? A blocked PAT resulted in the dominoes falling that lead to this move in my eyes.

I would say the game changed on the punt, but you are right. The score was 19-19 at the end of regulation. KC got 7 pts of a short field, hard to say the defense didnt do their part.. (I was actually surprised by the SF defense, given their prior playoff performances)

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, codaxx said:

I would say the game changed on the punt, but you are right. The score was 19-19 at the end of regulation. KC got 7 pts of a short field, hard to say the defense didnt do their part.. (I was actually surprised by the SF defense, given their prior playoff performances)

Which is probably the better way to view that move by Shanahan. The Niners’ defense was less than impressive against both GB and DET. Though, the 2H adjustments on defense were what allowed for SF to win that game.

4 hours ago, TexasLonghorns said:

Where’s the objective reasoning for firing someone who led your team to the Super Bowl, had a top 5 scoring defense, top 10 in total defense, #1 in the NFL in interceptions. Is this an emotional firing or a coach actually holding coaches on his staff accountable? 

It's a coach feeling like his DC and he just aren't compatible in the way he feels they need to be compatible. Trying to dig into specifics would just be blind speculation, but Shanahan obviously felt the divide wasn't fixable moving forward. 

Meanwhile, the Cowboys hire another has-been yes-man in Mike Zimmer who dropped this perfect quote today - 

"I'm thrilled to work with Mike McCarthy, for whom I have had a ton of respect in our NFC North days, and to do anything I can do to help the Joneses and the Cowboys."

The Dallas "Joneses".

Edited by horns96
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, horns96 said:

Meanwhile, the Cowboys hire another has-been yes-man in Mike Zimmer who dropped this perfect quote today - 

"I'm thrilled to work with Mike McCarthy, for whom I have had a ton of respect in our NFC North days, and to do anything I can do to help the Joneses and the Cowboys."

The Dallas "Joneses".

Eventually the Cowboys will get new ownership.  Until then, it will be the same thing every year.