Tuesday Morning Tidbits (7:28 a.m.)

• Moderators

Happy Tuesday! Wanted to drop off a few recruiting notes before hitting the trail this morning. I will be hitting some more Austin area schools through the rest of the week. But for now, I am feeling like Jokic the way I am coming with the Nuggets.

I traded messages earlier with 2026 five-star DL Jahkeem Stewart out of New Orleans (LA) about his communication levels with Texas. Stewart has been on campus multiple times since popping up on the recruiting scene as an eighth grader back in San Antonio during the All American Bowl combine. 

Stewart said that his communication with Texas is up in the air at the moment. Texas did stop by in January when Brandon Harris was asked to assume a coaching role while Sarkisian was filling the DL spot. I have heard from the Texas side of things here that communication is expected to ramp up as spring ball nears.

The 6-foot-6 lineman also mentioned Texas as school he was hoping to visit during the spring practice season. Stewart is currently ranked as the No. 3 player in the country for the 2026 class.

One thing that could be helping the Horns a bit here is Stewart's relationship with Barryn Sorrell, the two train together in the New Orleans area.

Texas extended an offer to 2025 Cedar Hill OL Devin Coleman. There were some questions yesterday in regards to which position this offer was extended for as Coleman has also earned plenty of interest on the defensive side of the ball.

Coleman told me last night Coach Kyle Flood extended the offer on the offensive line and added Coach Flood is pitching an interior spot at the next level – most likely guard.

Plans to visit Austin have yet to be finalized, but Coleman does expect to make it down to Austin at some point near spring football.

Texas added a few pieces to their Player Personnel department last night. The first being Jackson Gleeson, who I have heard has a great mind for identifying talent at early stages. Eager to see what kind of impact he has inside of Moncrief now, but there was some really positive early returns here.

The other being Jordan Mitchell, a former graduate of The University of Texas who is beginning to take the next steps behind the scenes. I have a couple of messages out to learn more about him and will update further when I do.

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High

Texas continues to be one of the top schools for Pettijohn according to a source close to the recruitment. The Longhorns and Florida State were the first two mentioned around Christmas time with USC third and Auburn making tremendous effort. That list has now changed with Texas A&M, Ohio State and Georgia now in the top group and Auburn fading a little. Texas A&M's Jay Bateman has been impactful for the Aggies having been recruiting Pettijohn for a year while on staff at Florida. Texas is said to be ahead of at least three of the top 6 headed into spring visits. Jeff Banks and Johnny Nansen are both working this recruitment for Texas, along with Steve Sarkisian.
- Gerry Hamilton

View full news

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, goathumper said:

Bo Davis leaving, I think stopped any possibility of Stewart going to Texas. 

That may be the hardest recruitment in the country to win for 2026. Wilson, Kelly, Raymond, Bo will do whatever it takes to keep that kid in state

The road to landing Stewart certainly is a bit more challenging without Bo Davis there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

If anyone thought that Brian Kelly was going to let Texas take top talent of Louisiana as they did earlier has their head in the clouds.

Never going to be easy getting talent out of Louisiana.

We've been able to take what we want out of Louisiana pretty much. Right under Kelly's nose.

Kelly really isn't a good fit there. 

34 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We've been able to take what we want out of Louisiana pretty much. Right under Kelly's nose.

He’s doing a good job at LSU, plain and simple.  Also doing more to lock down Louisiana talent.  Some think it’s going to be easy getting top talent out of Louisiana and it’s not going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Not sure where you get that. We've signed 3 in 3 years, and granted Arch and Williams were big, however they signed 10 out of the top 11 in state last year, including a couple guys we wanted. This year they have 6 of the top 10 instate committed amd favored for another and that includes 3-4 guys we wanted imo. Again not sure I understand 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, justwinbaby said:

He’s doing a good job at LSU, plain and simple.  Also doing more to lock down Louisiana talent.  Some think it’s going to be easy getting top talent out of Louisiana and it’s not going to happen.

It's easy to look good with a healthy Jayden Daniels.

Even then, they weren't much of a factor in the conference title race.

3 hours ago, Hookem777 said:

Not sure where you get that. We've signed 3 in 3 years, and granted Arch and Williams were big, however they signed 10 out of the top 11 in state last year, including a couple guys we wanted. This year they have 6 of the top 10 instate committed amd favored for another and that includes 3-4 guys we wanted imo. Again not sure I understand 

Yes, and they wanted Melvin Hills badly. We've done alright for ourselves over there.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Yes, and they wanted Melvin Hills badly. We've done alright for ourselves over there.

I can agree with this, but not sure I can agree with "We've been able to take what we want out of Louisiana". To each there own 🤘🤘🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem777 said:

I can agree with this, but not sure I can agree with "We've been able to take what we want out of Louisiana". To each there own 🤘🤘🤘

Who are the misses? We don't blanket recruit Louisiana. We pick one, two or three maybe kids we like and go after them.  Bo Davis is largely responsible for that in the past.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Who are the misses? We don't blanket recruit Louisiana. We pick one, two or three maybe kids we like and go after them.  Bo Davis is largely responsible for that in the past.

Joseph has been the main connection there but Bo has helped out. 

2022 head to head lost Quency Wiggins, not head to head Jacoby Mathews to A&M

2023 there were no head to head but we lost Jordan Matthews to Tennessee

2024 head to head McKinley 

2025 (which I know isn't done) Harlem Berry, Jaboree Antoine, probably James Simon )hasn't committed

This list doesn't include once we were after that we wanted they gave us little time like Lance Heard. 

No go back  and look at who they got that we from Texas we wanted:

2024 Jelani Watkins, Ory Williams

2023 Javien Toviano

2022 Harold Perkins

To me you can say they've just as good raising Texas as we have them. You can make a point that ours is a harder feat given how hard it is to get players out of Louisiana but to me it's not like we are doing Viking raids over there imo.