Midwest 4-star EDGE ready to visit Texas (Sunday 12:52 p.m. CST)

• Moderators

Midwest 4-star EDGE ready to visit Texas

Four-star EDGE prospect Damien Shanklin (Indianapolis, In./Warren Central) is headed to Austin for an official visit June 21. That name was surprise to many still getting familiar with the the 2025 cycle of out of state prospects. 

Shanklin, 6-5 and 232 pounds, is another sign of the Texas national recruiting approach, and growing appeal among top prospects.

"When they first offered me, it surprised me," Shanklin told OnTexasFootball Sunday. "I have had an interest in Texas for a while watching the defensive tackles and defensive ends." 

Texas defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski offered Shaklin in late September of 2023. Since that time, the top ranked prospect in Indiana and Kwiatkowski have built a quality rapport.

"I talk to Coach Pete (Kwitkoswki) a lot. He’s telling me about my film, and how much he likes it. The way he was telling me how he coaches is what I like too. He tells me about developing players when I first get there, the environment on the team and the program."

Kwiatkowski stopped by Warren Central High in January for a more in depth conversation. 

"He came to school in January. He was telling me about the facilities, the school and the history. And the base defense, and stuff. We talked for about an hour." 

The communication with the Texas staff includes a recent conversation with Steve Sarkisian

“He was just checking in on me. He was telling that my film was good, and I’m great player. And that he can’t wait to get me down there.” 

Shanklin said he talked with Kwiatkowski two days ago.

A visit prior to the June official visit

Shanklin told OnTexasFootball that he and one of his coaches are looking at making an unofficial visit late in the spring prior to the June official visit.

Texas is in Shanklin's top 5 prior to the visit

Everyone is seemingly chasing Notre Dame headed into the spring. He will attend the Fighting Irish Spring Game April 20, and make an official visit June 7-9. 

Tennessee (June 14-16), Michigan and Ohio State are also going to receive official visits. 

"Right now, Texas is definitely in my top five." 

And that's where the recruitment begins with Shaklin prior to spring and June visits. 

Shanklin is busy with recruiting and track and field season currently. He sports personal records of 174’3” in the discus and 49’0” in the shot put. 

View full news

• Hook 'Em 8