Texas players knowing Texas football history

Watching the Chris simms interviews at the combine I’m surprised the guys have no knowledge of who he is (at least Murphy and Sanders).  The arch manning equivalent recruit of 1999.    I guess kids out of hs pretty much only know who was good in their middle school and hs years.  And anything further back is ancient history.  Glad we are on our way back and kids can view Texas as a cool school again. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Quinncent McManning, Jr. said:

Watching the Chris simms interviews at the combine I’m surprised the guys have no knowledge of who he is (at least Murphy and Sanders).  The arch manning equivalent recruit of 1999.    I guess kids out of hs pretty much only know who was good in their middle school and hs years.  And anything further back is ancient history.  Glad we are on our way back and kids can view Texas as a cool school again. 🤘

I think part of the problem with a lack of knowledge of UT football history can be attributed to a lack of success over the last 15 or so. However, I think a larger problem is the abundance of activities to occupy young men today.  As a young boy growing up in the late 69s and early 70s I had far fewer distractions. There were three TV channels and I watched every broadcasted game I could. Magazines like “Football Digest” and Dave Campbell’s “Texas Football” dominated my days. I remember lying in bed listening to Houston Astros’ broadcasts on my transistor radio. Watching the DarrellRoyal Show with Cactus Pryor was a must during the season.