College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

Completely out of left-field, I have a question about the coaching staff's opinion regarding Weaver.

He shot .379 bta against D1 opponents as a freshman at UT-Arlington and over .450 in the second half of that season.  Early in this year, he missed some shots while showing good form.  He became a guy to ignore despite being wide open in the corner, and as the season went on, he began totally bricking his perimeter shots before he went 3/8 bta in March.

Does the staff think this is a confidence thing, a correctable mechanical flaw, or that he's basically a Justin Mason who will never be able to shoot from the arc again?

I personally think there is an all-around talent there that just needs to get it going, but I'm just a stat-head who watches a lot of games and film. 

Edited by bierce
  • Hook 'Em 4

The entire Indiana State team is now in the portal after the coach was hired away by St. Louis.  Avila is the big name there, but I have reservations about his ability to defend at this level.  Conwell and Larry are an interesting pair of guards.  Larry is from Frisco. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For some reason I can't edit my own posts--am told I need to subscribe, but I already have.

What I wanted to do was add some details about Larry.  188/80 a/t ratio this year with 59 steals.  Not a huge volume 3pt shooter, but pretty damn good at it--.460+ in both of the last two seasons and .404 in his career.  Gets to the line a lot for a guard.   Decent size at 6'3".

• Hook 'Em 2

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, bierce said:

The entire Indiana State team is now in the portal after the coach was hired away by St. Louis.  Avila is the big name there, but I have reservations about his ability to defend at this level.  Conwell and Larry are an interesting pair of guards.  Larry is from Frisco. 

For sure! I like Larry 

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Texas really liked him when scouting CSU for NCAA Tournament … he’s from DFW (Arlington) 

We have a visitor and I don’t have to chop off anything. Bye the way. My wife refers to him as hand guy. Watching the McDonalds all American game. “Where’s hand guy?” Uh see the guy shooting and the net doesn’t move?” That’s hand guy. 

• Haha 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

@Gerry Hamilton Tre White to Illinois. Does that help with Storr. 

Potential issue with Storr is it's literally the worst NBA draft on record coming up ... even a guy that will/could struggle in the NBA like Zach Edey could go late first (normally would be late 2nd to UFA). 

He's a tough one because you would go on him (college) and use a valued spot and he could opt to stay in NBA draft. 

But Texas is in it, if they choose to stay in it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Potential issue with Storr is it's literally the worst NBA draft on record coming up ... even a guy that will/could struggle in the NBA like Zach Edey could go late first (normally would be late 2nd to UFA). 

He's a tough one because you would go on him (college) and use a valued spot and he could opt to stay in NBA draft. 

But Texas is in it, if they choose to stay in it. 

Completely agree on the NBA class. Reminds me of Tristan Thompson class. Sounds too iffy for me. Rather they find a comparable talent they know is coming. Unless they know without a doubt they should pass. Too important a position to not fill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 new things today on Texas from Trilly Donovan 

Danny Wolf
- Visiting Michigan this weekend. Also has a visit set to North Carolina. Potential to visit Indiana and Texas if he doesn't commit after the first two.

Malik Mack
- Georgetown, Texas and Virginia final three. Taking visits starting with UVA this weekend.

37 minutes ago, carsonsmith84 said:

Danny Wolf
- Visiting Michigan this weekend. Also has a visit set to North Carolina. Potential to visit Indiana and Texas if he doesn't commit after the first two.

Malik Mack
- Georgetown, Texas and Virginia final three. Taking visits starting with UVA this weekend.

Mack is originally from the DC area, but we might have an advantage if he wants to play at a faster pace.  Bennett runs one of the slowest offenses every year, and Cooley's teams were more often than not ranked 200+ in average offensive possession length on a scale, with 1 being the fastest.  Terry had only one team check in over 200 after his first two years at Fresno State.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, carsonsmith84 said:

Danny Wolf

Malik Mack

Wolf isn’t a starter at a power five school. Just my opinion. Could be very good off the bench. I think Wolf and the guy visiting this week probably cancel each other out.