College Basketball Transfer Portal Thread

What are the rules on international players?  If an international player is not drafted, are they still eligible for college play?

I would like Terry/Ogden to recruit the Kentucky center.  He would be a great defender/shot blocker in the post.  He will only be a sophomore in the upcoming season and he has an high upside in developing an offensive game.  He should be able to play plenty of minutes with Shedrick often getting into foul trouble and injury history. He could also pass Shedrick in the summer/early fall offseason for the starting rotation.  I don’t believe Terry promises anyone a starting position going into a season.

1 hour ago, nakhorn93 said:

What are the rules on international players?  If an international player is not drafted, are they still eligible for college play?

I would like Terry/Ogden to recruit the Kentucky center.  He would be a great defender/shot blocker in the post.  He will only be a sophomore in the upcoming season and he has an high upside in developing an offensive game.  He should be able to play plenty of minutes with Shedrick often getting into foul trouble and injury history. He could also pass Shedrick in the summer/early fall offseason for the starting rotation.  I don’t believe Terry promises anyone a starting position going into a season.

Kentucky center is visiting K State. 

2 hours ago, Neil Leininger said:

Why are you crying over JAGS? If you want to pay 7 figures, that player needs to be a sure fire lottery pick. Hawkins and Toppin are not lottery picks, and they aren't getting more than what Texas gave Tre Johnson. If other teams want to pay whatever the player wants let them, it destroys locker rooms, just look at aggy. Both Garrison and Toppin took the highest offer they got and went to programs that are not in a different tier than Texas. We spent a crap ton on the guys we brought in. We probably have enough to bring in another big, though that guy isn't getting a starter's role with what Texas already has on the roster.

The rotation is already strong with Pope, Weaver, Larry, Johnson, Mark, Kent, Codie, and Shedrick. You have 4th big minutes left and currently we have Onyemi ready for those minutes. Then you need developmental minutes for Pryor and Presley. Toppin would be a nice add if he was willing to play his role. That role had a price point that Texas wasn't willing to move off of, and they shouldn't because he's not that big of an upgrade over what we currently have available to us. Toppin isn't taking the ball out of the hands of Pope, Larry, Mark, and Johnson.

First of all I am not crying over anything. You seem to think Kadin is going to come back developed. Why do you seem to care so much about his minutes. Get the best player, who cares about his minutes. He’s an oft injured center. Onyema? Who cares about these guys minutes? You think if Hawkins wanted to come here for 700,000, the team would care about Kadin’s minutes? Hell no. 

1 hour ago, nakhorn93 said:

My guess would be that he's already beyond what Texas offered Toppin. 

When it's last call, 5s look like 10s, and I'm not saying Onyenso is a 5.

2 minutes ago, BobInHouston said:

My guess would be that he's already beyond what Texas offered Toppin. 

When it's last call, 5s look like 10s, and I'm not saying Onyenso is a 5.

I was hoping that kid would  take a look at Texas. Who knows if they add anyone at this point? Even if they do it’s a 5 to 10 minute player. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

First of all I am not crying over anything. You seem to think Kadin is going to come back developed. Why do you seem to care so much about his minutes. Get the best player, who cares about his minutes. He’s an oft injured center. Onyema? Who cares about these guys minutes? You think if Hawkins wanted to come here for 700,000, the team would care about Kadin’s minutes? Hell no. 

Toppin wants the ball in his hands because that's the feedback he received during the draft process. It has nothing to do with Shedrick, Codie, and Onyema and everything to do with our guards and wings. Toppin isn't coming back to college to play the dunker role, he wants a starring role in the offense and Texas doesn't have that role available. Our 3 bigs are prefectly fine being 4th or 5th options when they are on the court. If we can find another big that is happy being a low usage player then add him. Most of the guys we were in on aren't looking for that type of role. Bigs aren't needed to win the NCAAT, you need wings and guards.

This isnt the same as building a team in NBA 2K.

Boston is the best team in the NBA and they are playing with one big in their rotation, along with a horde of wings and guards.

Edited by Neil Leininger
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

Toppin wants the ball in his hands because that's the feedback he received during the draft process. It has nothing to do with Shedrick, Codie, and Onyema and everything to do with our guards and wings. Toppin isn't coming back to college to play the dunker role, he wants a starring role in the offense and Texas doesn't have that role available. Our 3 bigs are prefectly fine being 4th or 5th options when they are on the court. If we can find another big that is happy being a low usage player then add him. Most of the guys we were in on aren't looking for that type of role. Bigs aren't needed to win the NCAAT, you need wings and guards.

Boston is the best team in the NBA and they are playing with one big in their rotation, along with a horde of wings and guards.

You definitely need great guards and wings to win a championship but you can’t say bigs aren’t needed. Edey carried Purdue to the championship game last year and UConn was anchored defensively by a 7 foot lottery pick

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

When the combine ended Texas led for him. Everything changed when the agent asked for 1.5 million. And he would have had enough minutes because he would have split time at the four and five positions. All of this was known before and after the draft. And Texas lead before and after. Money changed this. Texas did not match that amount and it’s hello Lubbock. 

1 minute ago, Hookem3 said:

You definitely need great guards and wings to win a championship but you can’t say bigs aren’t needed. Edey carried Purdue to the championship game last year and UConn was anchored defensively by a 7 foot lottery pick

This. 

Toppin isn't a lottery pick, if he was, he'd still be in the draft. Toppin isn't a 7' and he's not a guy that defenisvely anchors you. You are comparing apples and oranges. The one thing true thing about the tournament, you can't win without guards and wings. You can win without a lottery pick big.

1 hour ago, Jordan91 said:

When the combine ended Texas led for him. Everything changed when the agent asked for 1.5 million. And he would have had enough minutes because he would have split time at the four and five positions. All of this was known before and after the draft. And Texas lead before and after. Money changed this. Texas did not match that amount and it’s hello Lubbock. 

and I bet we are a better team than Tech next year because we have more talent than they do.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hookem3 said:

I would say this though ... for Texas it's not about high odds to win an NC ... I don't see that at this point. 

But what about getting to an E8 or FF?

Miami went to FF with one rugged 6-7 PF and not any depth

Kelvin Sampson teams don't have traditional bigs. He's doing it with more of the 6-8/6-9 guys. 

San Diego State and FAU had a good big, but not great depth. 

I say there are levels to it all 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Neil Leininger said:

and I bet we are a better team than Tech next year because we have more talent than they do.

I agree. They were after Wells too and he stayed in the draft. I had a little laugh about that one. 

9 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

I would say this though ... for Texas it's not about high odds to win an NC ... I don't see that at this point. 

But what about getting to an E8 or FF?

Miami went to FF with one rugged 6-7 PF and not any depth

Kelvin Sampson teams don't have traditional bigs. He's doing it with more of the 6-8/6-9 guys. 

San Diego State and FAU had a good big, but not great depth. 

I say there are levels to it all 

Sampson and Barnes get those guys and just teach them a hook shot. Those guys then destroy teams on the boards. Last year it was the big at NC State that I liked. Way overweight but just kept getting the team wins.

When Texas is officially done in the portal let us know what you like and don’t like about the team. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Jordan91 said:

Impressive list of programs showing interest.

He's not going to play above the rim, and his jump shot is a little weird, but I really like how comfortable he is using either hand around the basket. 

Edited by bierce
  • Hook 'Em 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, sarcher93 said:

@Gerry Hamilton Trilly saying Texas is in the mix for Brazile

Texas is circling back on Brazile a little. Not seen as the ideal fit, however. 

These agents are throwing out seriously crazy numbers for the best players remaining in the portal right now. 

Hawkins people asking schools for 2 mill. lol 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

These agents are throwing out seriously crazy numbers for the best players remaining in the portal right now. 

There asking that because of the two million the other guy got. I think Brazile fits fine on the team. I am assuming there are attitudes issue. Some people have suggested Texas is making a play for Hawkins. Not anyone that really has any inside knowledge on what Texas is doing. So I am not going to even think it’s a possibility at this point. 

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Which is why we should’ve paid $1.2 mil for Toppin 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Hamilton said:

Not exactly a bad fit, though.  He doesn't have the ideal body to control the paint on defense, but his offensive repertoire is pretty nice.  His assist rate is poor, but he's not overly demanding of the ball on offense, has good offensive range, and while he isn't exceptional from the arc, he's a better than average shooter from there.  He could be better at the line, but even so, he's better from there than most of the 4/5s we have been looking at this spring.

I wanted Brazile two years ago.  If the knee problems haven't slowed him down too much, then he'd be a nice addition now.

I'm certain that if Texas is looking at Brazile, then Mark has dispelled the silly rumors about, oh, let's call it locker room relations, to the staff's satisfaction.