Ryan Wingo Standing Out to Sarkisian (Tuesday 12:22 p.m.)

• Moderators

I loved this quote from Steve Sarkisian during Tuesday's media availability following practice No. 7 of the Longhorns' spring season.

Sarkisian was asked if there were any early enrollees already being considered for leadership positions on the team. While Sarkisian mentioned that it is very early for those guys to jump that much into a position of command within the program, he did say he is pleased with how quickly they are becoming accustomed to practices on an every day basis.

"I do think they are all working hard," Sarkisian said. "When you get to practice seven, there is a lot on their plate right now. When you think about it – if you are an offensive player, all of the offense that we have installed, and then you are trying to diagnose the defense and put those things together."

Sarkisian added he was pleased with the effort and attentiveness of his early enrollees on campus. It certainly would make any head coach pleased to know he can go four-deep at any position and carry out scrimmages with plenty of depth at a moment's notice.

"They are all working really hard," Sarkisian said. "I don't have a complaint about any of those guys. They are all doing a really good job and I am pleased with what they are putting into it."

But as it pertains to one specific true freshman standing out, Sarkisian was quick to give WR Ryan Wingo his flowers.

"I would say the one guy that has shown up the most in my eyes would be Ryan Wingo. I feel like in the last week, he has really made some plays and we have started to see the size, the speed and the athleticism."

As Texas continues to sort out its wide receiver spot, one thing is for sure - Wingo is making his presence known early on. 

The Longhorns will be back on the practice field Thursday, which will mark the midway point of the spring practice session. Then Saturday, the team will return to the practice field for a more intense practice/scrimmage in front of 30+ recruits.

Strong start to the career of Ryan Wingo as a Texas Longhorn.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, watty7796 said:

He may be the best redzone target from the wr position with his size.  Hopefully he will learn to "box out" and give his qb an easier throw in tight space.

I tend to agree with you ... if it's a ball in the air scenario, he's the best of the guys that will play at WR this season

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Thanks 1

Sortof a very random thought.  I remember when we missed out on Zach Evans and had to "settle" for out-of-state Bijan Robinson.  Thank God that worked out that way.

I remember getting the same feeling last year when we were busy getting ignored by Micah Hudson and we we going to concentrate on out-of-state Ryan Wingo.  

I have a feeling that's going to work out the same as the Evans-Robinson thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, GetHooked said:

Sortof a very random thought.  I remember when we missed out on Zach Evans and had to "settle" for out-of-state Bijan Robinson.  Thank God that worked out that way.

I remember getting the same feeling last year when we were busy getting ignored by Micah Hudson and we we going to concentrate on out-of-state Ryan Wingo.  

I really think Micah made a huge mistake going to be the big fish in a little pond at tech becasue they have ZERO talent at wideout based off of the 2023 game. Our defensive backs were below average at best last season and they still couldn’t carve them when it was necessary with us playing press. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Even though I think Hudson is talented, I've always been a fan of the guys that WANT to be in Austin. I don't know what QB on Tech's roster has his attention, but catching passes from Quinn Ewers or Arch Manning would seem to be an ideal situation for me as a receiver, so it definitely isn't about that roster, no matter what anyone says. You can't hide in Austin, and the guys on the roster in 2024 aren't looking to be comfortable, and that's what you call CULTURE. 🤘🏿

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, GetHooked said:

Bijan was always the priority at RB in that class. We didn't "settle" for anything.

• Hook 'Em 1