Texas Baseball Loses 2025 Commitment

• Moderators

Austin Anderson outfielder Ed Small has decommitted from the Longhorns baseball program.  Small is an elite prospect on the diamond, but has instead decided to focus his efforts on football moving forward.  

As a wide receiver, the 6-foot-1, 205-pounder already has offers in hand from schools such as TCU, Baylor, Texas State and Tulsa.  He was recently on campus for the Texas junior day this past Saturday as well. 

This past season he hauled in 77 receptions for 1,112 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Small was graded a 9.5 by Perfect Game for baseball, which is considered an MLB draft pick in the high rounds.

View full news

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Sad 1

Bummer. I do feel like Texas will have another solid season on the diamond. They already have their weekend starting pitching set with Witt, LBJ and Hurley. I expect to see improvement in both their defense and batting with Tulo back. If all goes well Texas should have a lot of momentum to sign another top 5 class.  

Edited by Jerry K
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blake Munroe said:

TCU will be one to watch here, unless Texas offers in football.  The Horned Frogs are telling Small he can play both sports in Fort Worth,

Is it really feasible/ practical for college athletes in today's day and age to play TWO sports while in college? I would think the football program of an institution like Texas would require way too much time and energy, making it difficult for someone to try to play both baseball AND football while on the Forty Acres??

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Is it really feasible/ practical for college athletes in today's day and age to play TWO sports while in college? I would think the football program of an institution like Texas would require way too much time and energy, making it difficult for someone to try to play both baseball AND football while on the Forty Acres??

While it is probably feasible, it would put a great deal of strain on the player and would require the two coaches to be very accommodating. I believe baseball does a great deal of work in the fall and of course playing baseball would make spring practices almost impossible. In addition, if he were to agree to play both sports at UT it would count as a football scholarship. 

I can think of a number of players to forgo college football for baseball (mostly professional), but don't recall many spurning high-level baseball for football.

Adam Dunn signed as a QB to UT before eventually leaving for baseball and I guess Kyler Murray?  Will be interesting to see Ed's offer list for football going forward.

Whatever the case, Ed's dedication to football is impressive (and I'm a huge baseball fan).

1 hour ago, horns96 said:

I can think of a number of players to forgo college football for baseball (mostly professional), but don't recall many spurning high-level baseball for football.

Adam Dunn signed as a QB to UT before eventually leaving for baseball and I guess Kyler Murray?  Will be interesting to see Ed's offer list for football going forward.

Whatever the case, Ed's dedication to football is impressive (and I'm a huge baseball fan).

Scholarship money could play into it. I have a relative who pitched at Notre Dame, and with so few scholarships available, teams divide those up among players, leaving players to have to make up the shortfall. He is quite intelligent, so he got some  assistance because of that, but it’s night and day compared to football. 

It's incredibly hard to play two sports in college. The demands on your time, especially from sports like football and baseball, but even more is the type of practice. The two practices don't really carry over to one another.

The combo we see most frequently is football and track. Lots of carry over there, especially for skill players and even for some guys in the throwing events.