DB issues and the fix.

So I know we have talent at defensive back, but we're still seeing the same issues on big play problems. So is it the defensive scheme that is allowing this to happen, individual defensive back coaches that philosophy teaching is an issue, or is it really talent? What ever it is it must get fix. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Going into year three it’s gotta be a coaching issue. There’s a reason Gideon and terry didn’t get raises, It’s their show me year. Everybody’s all hyped up about the QB play, But i am more worried about our secondary. The first changed I’d make is take taffee off the field. He’s just to slow, small and got exposed multiple times today because of those traits. 

Edited by NothinButDaHorns34
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Going into year three it’s gotta be a coaching issue. There’s a reason Gideon and terry didn’t get raises, It’s their show me year. Everybody’s all hyped up about the QB play, But i am more worried about our secondary. The first changed I’d make is take taffee off the field. He’s just to slow, small and got exposed multiple times today because of those traits. 

What did you see of the DB’s?  Please be specific since you were so observant?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Philip Barber said:

Since you’re so special that i have to explain to you what we’ve ALL seen over the last THREE years. Defensive backs standing flat footed, lack of communication to pass off routes, lack of physicality and so on. Don’t be such a homer to ONLY praise the passing game and overlook the lack of pass defense. Taaffe and brooks are going to be liabilities for us if you like it or not. 

Edited by NothinButDaHorns34
  • Hook 'Em 4

Lol Bobby and co. have been pretty down on the recievers all spring. So let's just say the dbs locked up the passing attack would you be saying our recievers suck? There's not a whole lot you can take from this. 40K or however many fans that showed up didn't do so to see incomplete passes. 

11 hours ago, NothinButDaHorns34 said:

Since you’re so special that i have to explain to you what we’ve ALL seen over the last THREE years. Defensive backs standing flat footed, lack of communication to pass off routes, lack of physicality and so on. Don’t be such a homer to ONLY praise the passing game and overlook the lack of pass defense. Taaffe and brooks are going to be liabilities for us if you like it or not. 

I still have concern especially after what we've seen the last few years.  We got exposed last year a few times against good passing attacks, especially the Sugar Bowl.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, westexhorn said:

I still have concern especially after what we've seen the last few years.  We got exposed last year a few times against good passing attacks, especially the Sugar Bowl.

Lack of red zone offense, our pass defense and turnovers lost us that game against washington which are two of the three issues we couldn't never figure out last season. The homer types want to completely overlook the lack of pass defense to praise what the wide receivers and quarterbacks did will regret it come this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, David Latiolais said:

Remember in a spring game the defense should have an advantage because they have seen these plays for two and a half weeks now.

Yeah, but also the most important result of the Spring Game is staying healthy, which is an advantage for offenses. I have no doubt that the defense in general wasn't going at it 100% yesterday. This was nothing more than an exhibition for the fans, and it was a great success IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Philip Barber said:

It’s a new board. Please don’t start this crap. Any reasonable person observed issues with their eyes or heard Rod begrudgingly state his concerns. This is such an immature reply. 

• Hook 'Em 10

24 minutes ago, Burnt Orange Horn said:

Time for all the negative Nancies to get their panties unknotted. The talent is there and the scheme will mature. Do not be so overconfident that you know more than the coaches.

I hope so, this is year 4 for all the coaches, and to see the same issues at DB is concerning. You know what they say, keep doing the same thing over and over and get the same results? DT looked better than expected, good coaching? DBs looked worse than expected?? Again, scheme, coaching or talent? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Improved pass rush at edge will help, a lot. Since there was little actual pass rush in a Spring Game setting, it is a little premature to start the hand wringing on the DBs. They can and should improve once the games are real. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My last point, could there be some type of philosophy issue between how the corner backs are coach versus how the safeties are coached?  I remember Texas brought in a defensive back analyst for a week and then he got an NFL job I believe? 

I'm hope I'm completely wrong  on all of this, and y'all can come back and crush me halfway through the season when they are the best group on the team.

14 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Improved pass rush at edge will help, a lot. Since there was little actual pass rush in a Spring Game setting, it is a little premature to start the hand wringing on the DBs. They can and should improve once the games are real. 

I am really banking on all of those pass rushers being affective because i think we’re going into year FOUR of a below average pass defense. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, David Latiolais said:

Again, scheme, coaching or talent? 

For me,as I said, it was schemed to stop the run above all. A little patience and those safeties would have remained deep to defend those routes.

Also Texas WR have speed. Moore, Bond, Butler, Wingo and Bolden are probably beating any of the DB in 40m or longer dash.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:57 PM, David Latiolais said:

So I know we have talent at defensive back, but we're still seeing the same issues on big play problems. So is it the defensive scheme that is allowing this to happen, individual defensive back coaches that philosophy teaching is an issue, or is it really talent? What ever it is it must get fix. 

Posted this on another thread, but it probably belongs here

I am not sure this is a good thing, but a lot of the issues were mental in the secondary. Lots of pts were scored on simple switch concepts that were misplayed. CBs were not that bad. Holmes gave up a TD on a blatant facemask. Black had terrible TD given up, not because Wingo beat him deep, but because it’s was like 3rd and 20. You have to understand the circumstances. Communication and situational football is the biggest issue and I am starting to think it may not just be the players 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2024 at 11:45 AM, David Latiolais said:

My last point, could there be some type of philosophy issue between how the corner backs are coach versus how the safeties are coached?  I remember Texas brought in a defensive back analyst for a week and then he got an NFL job I believe? 

I'm hope I'm completely wrong  on all of this, and y'all can come back and crush me halfway through the season when they are the best group on the team.

That sucks.  I hadnt heard William Gay left but a quick wiki search says he’s assist DB coach for the Wash Commanders.  Thanks for post.

Maybe Sark can bring in another former NFL DB as an analyst?

On 4/21/2024 at 10:22 AM, David Latiolais said:

Remember in a spring game the defense should have an advantage because they have seen these plays for two and a half weeks now.

And the offense hasn’t seen the same plays from the defense for two and a half week?

The QB can’t be touched, the defense isn’t going to light up their own teammates (see Brooks refusing to light up someone on the sideline) and Barron, Muhammad, Trey Moore and Mukuba were all in street clothes most of the game and you think the defense was supposed to have the advantage during that game?

16 minutes ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

And the offense hasn’t seen the same plays from the defense for two and a half week?

The QB can’t be touched, the defense isn’t going to light up their own teammates (see Brooks refusing to light up someone on the sideline) and Barron, Muhammad, Trey Moore and Mukuba were all in street clothes most of the game and you think the defense was supposed to have the advantage during that game?

Manning, Owens, and Lourd went 41-57 for 655 yards with 7 TDs and 1 int (on the Hail Mary). That is  72% completion percentage and 11.5 yards per a attempt from 3 QBs, none are starters and 1 will likely never be a starter. That is just terrible. Lot of the damage was done with straight up bad defense. There is a huge difference between the tight window 3rd down conversion between Cook and Ewers against Muhammad and Moore running 20 yards wide open for a 70+ TD on a coverage bust. 

Edited by codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Assistant Regional Manager said:

Even the walk on WR had a great day, he looked like an All American. If I was the only one showing concern, that would be one thing, but I'm not. Name one DB that had a good game? 

If you know the plays, then you should be able to at least stay close to the receiver, they were beat by 10 yards. I'm hoping I'm wrong. 

9 hours ago, David Latiolais said:

Even the walk on WR had a great day, he looked like an All American. If I was the only one showing concern, that would be one thing, but I'm not. Name one DB that had a good game? 

If you know the plays, then you should be able to at least stay close to the receiver, they were beat by 10 yards. I'm hoping I'm wrong. 

You’re not wrong, it’s a huge problem compounded by the loss of Brooks. Say what you want about Brooks, but that’s a bad depth piece to lose.

• Hook 'Em 2